Warped Discs ?

Skidude

• Member For: 14y 7m 16d

Looks like pad transfer onto a hot spot.

More than likely caused by depressing brake pad whilst stationary when she come into the pits with super hot brakes.

Will have them machined for $30 each.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

I've wondered about that. Using handbrake a lot at lights is more effort but more correct even in an auto I guess...because I imagined the hot pads sitting in one spot wouldn't be good at all.

• Member For: 17y 3d

I could be wrong but ive been told its not just sitting still with your foot on the brake but just sitting still as the pads are still resting on the rotors creating hot spots

if your giving your brakes a workout in traffic the trick is to just let the car roll slowly forward and back a few feet while waiting for the lights to change and not letting heat build up in anyone place

cheers trev

• Member For: 14y 7m 16d

I usually go for an easy 1-2 klm drive after some laps at Wakefield to let her cool down.

Unfortunately I was at the end of the strait taking some pics and the Mrs was driving. She came into the pits a few minutes before the session ended and this is when I think

the pad transfer has occurred.

I've been told not to use handbrake on very hot brakes as there is a chance the pads can "fuse" to the rotor. Not sure if this is myth or not.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 2d

I could be wrong but ive been told its not just sitting still with your foot on the brake but just sitting still as the pads are still resting on the rotors creating hot spots

if your giving your brakes a workout in traffic the trick is to just let the car roll slowly forward and back a few feet while waiting for the lights to change and not letting heat build up in anyone place

cheers trev

trev is right on the money. neutral and handbrake will still create a hotspot on the rotor. If not through conduction then radiation. Just creep the car forward slowy letting the heat distribute around the rotor.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

Thanks for the tip, I'll be using that from now on! Leave a gap and roll extra slowly forward. Don't wanna stuff my DBA4000 slotteds...

• 8 years later...