Loss Of Power After 3000Rpm Feels Like Its Hitting A Rev Limiter

kscpauly

• Member For: 14y 8m 5d

hi peeps,

I have a ba 2003 xr6 turbo, had it for about 6 months its stock standard, its got about 134,000kms

I drive it pretty hard, lately ive been driving it and after the car gets hot when I floor it it goes hard til about 3000-4000rpm it feels like it starts hitting a rev limiter and wont accelarate any more then it sounds like its coughing out of the exhaust. ive read a couple of other peoples forums and was told to check the coils plugs and cats, ive had all of these tested and had no faults.

the only thing that came up in the diagnostics was a oxygen sensor, but they said this would not make this happen.

it only seems to happen every now and then, when the car is cold or been sitting for a while it drives normal and feels normal

but after a bit of driving it happens again.

any ideas anyone? ive got it at the mechanics now checking it out but they cant seem to find a problem?

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 16y 11m

only one way to test coils properly and that's swap them out one at a time with a new one , if yours are still originals it would be a good place to start looking , if you got a fault on the o2 sensor then get it changed they can affect the way the car runs that's for sure

• Member For: 20y 22d

Check the rubber seal from the crossover to the engine intake, the rubber on the underside folded in due to a loose clamp. Made a rev limiter sound, farting noise when I hit 3k, sort of vibrating as the boost was escaping.

• Member For: 14y 3m 4d

hey dude just a stab in the dark, but after I had my car tuned on premium 98 petrol I heard bp was the go, but I was to find out it was the worst. Wen ever the car had been driving for a bit and I gave it it would do what u were explaining, it would kinda stutta and back fire, felt like I had no power. As soon as I told my tuner I was using bp he said it was sh*t and to change to sell, ive never looked back and the problem was solved. so give that a go if your using bp

hey dude just a stab in the dark, but after I had my car tuned on premium 98 petrol I heard bp was the go, but I was to find out it was the worst. Wen ever the car had been driving for a bit and I gave it it would do what u were explaining, it would kinda stutta and back fire, felt like I had no power. As soon as I told my tuner I was using bp he said it was sh*t and to change to sell, ive never looked back and the problem was solved. so give that a go if your using bp

that's weird because the only petrol I use is bp 98 ultimate...

its at a tuner as we speak and they have tested coils, to plugs, to cats, to fuel systems and cannot find the problem.

I will ask them about the bp petrol I thought it was supposed to be the good stuff

I only changed the plugs 5000kms ago and they were regapped and everything

its got me baffled

Check the rubber seal from the crossover to the engine intake, the rubber on the underside folded in due to a loose clamp. Made a rev limiter sound, farting noise when I hit 3k, sort of vibrating as the boost was escaping.

ive had two different mechanics go over the car top to bottom theres no problems what so ever it seems to only have the problem after 10 min of driving when the car warms up, before that it runs normal.

got my car back today they said the problem got worse when it was with them and they were able to diagnose it as being the fuel pump and filter, so they put a performance hi flo fuel pump and filter and when I picked it up it seemed to go a bit harder and the problem was no longer there but I have only driven it for 30 min I shall drive it harder and see how she goes

problem fixed picks up the revs nice and smooth now feels like it goes a little bit harder except the fuel pump is noisy n buzzes all the time now because its a hi flo lol