Oil Leak From Timing Cover / Head On Bft

06TXR

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 9m 27d

Noticed a smell of oil burning last night and went to investigate. Found oil leaking from the RHS of the engine. At first I thought it was leaking from the turbo drain line to the sump, but on further inspection, found it was coming from further up. Pulled the front half of the turbo shield off + power steer pump and seen it was leaking at the front where the head / block / timing cover meet. Washed it all down and went for a run and definitely leaking from this area.

Little disappointing having to do this at 47k & 18 days out of warranty and the car was / is never flogged. I had to do head gaskets on my EB and EL xr6, however both were in their late 100,000k. Would have thought that these problems would have been sorted by now.

Is there an oil pressure gallery feeding to the head around this area?

More likely to be the timing cover? If so, can this be resolved without removing the head?

If the head does need to come off, how do you release the timing chain on these engines? Any other differences in removing the head compared to the SOHC? - cam phasers etc?

Anything I should do to the top end whilst it is apart?

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 1d

I had similar problems with mine. The front timing chain cover leaked, the head gasket was leaking and a small one at the "rocker" cover... must have been a bad day for gaskets at the factory..

Anyways, had mine all done properly under warranty. But apparently, the front timing chain cover is a very common leak. Something about the bolts being too long and not tightening properly. BTW mine had all these leaks at 47k as well.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4d

mine leaked there too.

took it to ford at 3000km and all they did was smear gasket goo over the leak. piss weak effort I thought so I payed for a real mechanic to fix the problem then took it to cv for a tuneup.

ford warrenty is a joke.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 21d

You might be able to take it to ford and claim warranty I had a piece replaced and I was a couple of weeks out.

good luck

• Get on the end of it.....
  • Member For: 18y 3m 12d

I had the same problem last year had the timeing cover gasket replaced under warrenty and the mechanic said every 3rd turbo has this problem lol

Edited by revheadrobbo
No need to quote above post

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 6d

No head removale required just timing cover off. have seen a few of these.

It maybe just a case of the bolts need tightning.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
  • Throbbing Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 1m 23d

Mine did it too, when I first bought the ute I saw it leaking and asked them to fix it up before I bought it, they cleaned it up and just smeared some gasket goo on it. Not gonna mention the dealership, but it was a piss weak effort. I went away on holidays and the car sat in the garage for 5 days, when it was time to leave to come home, I noticed a pool of oil under the car, had a look under the bonnet and it was coming out of the timing chain cover again.

Got home and took it to Etheridge Ford to get it fixed under warranty, they did an awesome job. Took it off and resealed it all properly, and finished it off very neatly.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 9m 27d

Ended up calling Bryan Byrt Ford and had a chat to the service manager there. Told me to bring it in and they will have a look and seek approval for warranty. The leak was the timing cover and front engine seal. Complete coverage under warranty. Gotta be happy with that... To be honest, they would have to be the easiest and possibly the best dealership in SEQ that I have dealings with. I just wish I bought the car from them. Selling dealer put a big gouge on the front bumper at the first service. Was on holidays and took the car to a closer dealership for the 30k service only to be called a lier by the service adviser with regards to... you guessed it brake shudder... BBF offered to fix the brakes when they were doing the centre bush. I declined and fitted cross drilled and slotted. Def buy my next falcon from them!