Missing While Cruising On Freeway

XRTank

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 11d

Hi All

Just want to get your opinions on a problem I've noticed for some time now. I'll be cruising the freeway at around 2300rpm, apply some light throttle and the engine starts to flutter/miss. It normally fixes itself after a few seconds, and can be fixed by applying more throttle, or less throttle followed by more throttle. And it only occurs when the engine has been running for a while (read well warmed up).

Now here's the thing; I had the springs done ages ago (about 100,000kms ago). The coils were recently replaced (the old ones were showing hairline cracks) with Ford originals and plugs re-gapped to suit.

I suspect the springs - just not sure how long they're good for - the car has done just over 140,000 clicks.

Cheers

• Member For: 15y 2m 22d

Double check your plug gaps, or it could be running a bit lean in closed loop. Valves springs won't cause it, you will get a rough idle after hard acceleration if they have gone soft.

• 10 months later...
  • Enforcer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 19d

Try change the chassis mounted fuel line filter (just under the passanger back door)...sounds like it could be sucking through some water and crud...

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

RHR is that your solution to everything??? :roflmbo:

What gear are you running to be doing 2300 on the highway??? Either your in 3rd or doing 160. At 100 kmh I'm clocking over just under 1700 rpm.

I agree with whats suggested. Change fuel filter for starters. Id also consider chucking some injector cleaner in it unless some one else reckons this stuff is sh!te.

Mine dones it when cold and in the garage if I give it a little rev.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 13y 16d

sounds like o2 sensor to me , your car should lean out on inital opening of the throttle then o2 sensor corrects your mixture. most o2 sensors and cat convertors wont work as they should untill around 500 degrees , I think the resistace of your o2 sensor is not with in spec at N.O.T that's why you have this problem on the highways.

Edited by xwkid