Zf Slipping

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 2d

I just picked the car up a week ago from the lastest tune and it now has 355rwkw but a nice gentle power delivery and it got it's first gearbox oil change too (penrite sin atf)

When shifting up gears under full load the gearbox will slip if the wheels don't spin. 3rd to 4th gearchange at wide open throttle and 5000rpm sees the tacho needle only drop by around 100rpm and stay there until the speed increases 30 or 40km/h or the throttle is backed off. Also happens when accellerationg from low speeds and the convertor/clutches haven't locked yet and I change up gears, if I go form 2nd to 5th coming uot of an intersection I can get the revs to about 3500rpm before my speed hits 75kph.

Is this more likely to be the new tune or the new oil type/level?

dyno sheet http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65944&view=findpost&p=996302

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 9d

Sometimes a low oil level can cuase slippage...I have read up on the oil change instructions on the ZF website I think it was (even though the box is rated "never to be serviced")...and they have a very detailed procedure detailing how to make sure you have filled up the tranny with the correct amount of oil... it sounds quite meticulous...so there is a chance you just might need to check your oil level...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

Most probably low oil. Not sure on your gearbox but when my 4sp doesn't have enough oil when starting off it will rev up and then engage 1st by banging into gear.

Either that or the Viscosity of the oil is wrong which could cause problems but I doubt your mechanic would have used the wrong oil.

How's the beast like to drive now over your previous 308 tune and when are you going to tsv drags next?

I need to say hello this time.

• Member For: 14y 7m 18d

The 3rd to 4th gear change relies on clutches only . Mine was slipping and not going into gear on WOT from 3rd to 4th.I have sent mine off to get looked at and they said clutches f*cked..You can beef them up and need to be beefed up at anything over 350rwkw.

• Donating Members

Thanks shananp - I'll start saving for clutch packs. In the mean time I'll have a chat with the tuner about reducing power or something to help out. pretty broke at the moment. I work on gearboxes for work a bit but don't know if I'll attempt this one.

bjc- not too much different to drive, got the tuner to ramp up the boost slowly, have a harder tune on the box but haven't treid it yet. Townsville would be good again but I'll have to sort this gearbox first.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 14d

I thought these gearboxes were good for up to 400 before needing a rebuild?

I've been running 330 for 3 months and 360 (with a really agressive tune) for 3 months and haven't had a problem yet. I'd check your oil levels etc before saving for a rebuild.

• Donating Members

It'll go into a local mechanic this week for a check of the oil levels and I'll try running transmax z if that doesn't fix it. The local guy is a real ford nut and I have a mate there who was the mechanic at the dealers before they closed down. I'll print out some info I've got off here just incase as I reckon it'll be the first time they've touched a zf.

Fingers crossed

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 14d

There is plenty of info out there, I'm sure they can get it right. I'm taking mine in to 'the automatic shop' in rockhampton as they have built some trannys that have copped a hiding and they will do a full service and inspection of the ZF for $600.

• Donating Members

Well I can rule out the level as that's ok. But I can't rule out my stupidity, I just went and checked the label on the bottle of ATF and its penrite ATF DX-VI when I should of used SIN ATF according to everyone on here. Funny thing is that the label states suitable for use in ZF gearboxes used in BF falcons and on the back says suitable for ZF6HP gearboxes.

Could this be the problem, I've just flicked an email off to penrite to check what they think