Rough Acceleration At High Revs

dan(nthqld)

• Member For: 15y 1m 13d

I have a 2004 BA mk2 xr6t and today it started playing up.

I have just been on a long trip from townsville to sydney and back (over a few days) and on the way back about 400km from home the car started feeling a bit sluggish.

Whilst going to overtake a car I planted the right foot down, car started coming up to speed then all of a sudden the power just disappeared. it was like I was driving a n/a. Felt like no boost getting through at all. I could hear the turbo spooling just fine, just wasnt creating power.

I slowed right down then speed up slowy keeping it under 3grand. Nothing happened all seemed fine. as soon as I started putting the foot right down to higher revs it did it again. I have put spitfire through it but it doesnt seem to be a fuel issue as there is no rough idle now rough acceleration when revs are down low.

Im not sure here but could this be a problem with the waste gate actuator not functioning correctly?

Car is completely stock and only had it serviced about 3000kms ago.

If u need any more info let me know

Thanks

edit: also forgot to mention wen accelerating at the high revs I can hear like a fffffut ffffut sound from the exhaust

Edited by dan(nthqld)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 14y 9m 12d

How old are your coil packs mate? Loss of power on boost usually means coil packs are screwed. You can pick up genuine sets on ebay for around $160.

cheers, J

Edited by kirjo

Well since ive had the car, just over a year, I have never replaced them so I presume they have never been changed. im trying to put the car in this week to see if it can get fixed. Thanks

na its not spluttering, revving up its fine til about 3000rpm then the power disappears, then it will stay without power all the way to 6grand whilst making intermitent ffffut fffffut sounds out of the exhaust

• Member For: 14y 11m 5d

I have a 03 XR6T, it ran fine under 3000rpm, but when it wanted to boost it would loose power and wouldn't gain revs easily and the same exhaust sound you described, just missing under boost, it was just a spark plug (could also be a coil as stated above), replaced them and the fun returned

had a look for boost leaks. there was a hose disconnected near the "blow off valve". I placed it back on and drove it. seemed fine. drove it the next day and problems again. dunno if I just got lucky or wat. seems to be no other boost leaks. there was a small bit of oil in the turbo. only a small amount and a little bit on the intake side. is this normal?

thanks turbo I am trying to get the car in this week so they can have a look at the coil packs and plugs

Took car to mechanics today. They hooked it up to diagnostic tool, no fault codes. They took it for test drive and it wouldnt play up. I stopped in the afternoon and went for drive with them. Couldnt get it to do it - :roflmbo: Whilst driving home I gave it a stab and there it was. It feels even worse now, losing a lot of power, and also you can hear the turbo spooling loud as, normally very quiet. Ive checked all intake pipes and vacumn hoses and everything I can think of for boost leaks and nothing. So now im stumped. Dunno wat to do. is there a way to test coil packs other then try them on a different car? Im thinking its either them or a spark plug, but apparently no miss was showing on the computer they connected :S

Edited by dan(nthqld)