Atomic Motors (Merged Topic).

hsv eater

• Member For: 17y 11m 12d

has anyone installed atomic bottom end(short motor) to their xr6 or phoon? what do you guys think about it? I also heard that they are noisy (rattles) what are your recommendations?

Edited by Dagabond

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 2d
I have had one built using atomic components, if they are built right they are not noisy.  Mine sounds like a stocky

I disagree :o

I had one built with the tightest clearances recommended, and I ended up pulling it out of my car and building a new one with Atomic rods, and billet oil gears but stock pistons, as I hated the rattle from the forged pistons.

Don't get me wrong, these engines are virtually bullet proof, and the build quality is probably very good, but it is just the nature of some forged pistons, that they can be quite rattely.

My new engine sounds like when the car was brand new, and currently I am pushing 330 rwkw, and will be looking for 350 rwkw+, and provided you are careful with your tunes, I think the stock pistons will hold up well, but time will tell :msm:

I have had one built using atomic components, if they are built right they are not noisy.  Mine sounds like a stocky

I disagree :o

I had one built with the tightest clearances recommended, and I ended up pulling it out of my car and building a new one with Atomic rods, and billet oil gears but stock pistons, as I hated the rattle from the forged pistons.

Don't get me wrong, these engines are virtually bullet proof, and the build quality is probably very good, but it is just the nature of some forged pistons, that they can be quite rattely.

My new engine sounds like when the car was brand new, and currently I am pushing 330 rwkw, and will be looking for 350 rwkw+, and provided you are careful with your tunes, I think the stock pistons will hold up well, but time will tell :msm:

ninka that maybe so for who built your engine and if we used the block we got from atomic ours too would have rattled but with the new block and my clearances she is as quiet as a mouse ticks like a swiss watch!!!

its all in how they are blue printed and assembled!!!!

all components from atomic were fine you are welcome to see xrdreamings running if your in vic!!!!!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 2d

I disagree :fool:

My new engine sounds like when the car was brand new, and currently I am pushing 330 rwkw, and will be looking for 350 rwkw+, and provided you are careful with your tunes, I think the stock pistons will hold up well, but time will tell :o

ninka that maybe so for who built your engine and if we used the block we got from atomic ours too would have rattled but with the new block and my clearances she is as quiet as a mouse ticks like a swiss watch!!!

its all in how they are blue printed and assembled!!!!

all components from atomic were fine you are welcome to see xrdreamings running if your in vic!!!!!

In that case you must have either gone below recommended clearance on the pistons, or the manufacturer have changed the design (which they might have, because I kicked up quite a stink about this, and contacted them directly to complain), because I know for a fact that my block was bored to the minimum recommended clearance to the piston in question.

I will give the piston manufacturer credit, as they did offer to have my pistons returned to the States for analysis, and then supply me a new set, but this would have added weeks to a process which was already too long, so I sold the engine and built a new one.

I am glad to hear you are having some success out of this process :msm:

I guess the original question was if anyone have installed an Atomic bottom end, and though mine was not built by Atomic either, I have heard a couple of Atomic engines, and as you confirm, they can be noisy.

• Team Xtreme
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 17d

Ive seen 2 atomic bottom ends, both have the piston noise, Ive seen 4 biult engines with all different brands of pistons and have all rattled, I ran my own engine alot tighter then the spec sheet recomended and it has still got some piston noise, though not as bad as youngy;s atomic engine.Ive ordered some of Nizpros custom pistons for my next engine as I know that they run quiet as a mouse.

Edited by Xtreme F6

In that case you must have either gone below recommended clearance on the pistons,

dw.... no they were set to recomended tolerances I'm just anal about perfection and as I have used yank forgies for over 20 years I know all the tricks!!!

I guess the original question was if anyone have installed an Atomic bottom end, and though mine was not built by Atomic either, I have heard a couple of Atomic engines, and as you confirm, they can be noisy.

dw.... no they do alright considering price etc. (your not paying them to be anal perfectionists) the early ones I beleive may have but the new manufacterer is fine!

anyone wanting an atomic bottom end or better with minimal or no piston slap is welcome to call me as I am one of there agents here in vic!

I carry a kit in stock most times now as I carry valve springs etc!

happy to supply their kits as is

their bottom ends as is

wogged fully assembled complete race engines

• Member For: 17y 9m 11d

Yep, I'll second that! :fool:

I was there when it was running in & it was as quiet as a stocky! :msm:

Although, I do hope(for your sake) it goes better than one. :msm: :o

Well done Woggy. :msm:

Yep, I'll second that! :fool:

I was there when it was running in & it was as quiet as a stocky! :msm:

Although, I do hope(for your sake) it goes better than one. :msm: :o

Well done Woggy. :msm:

hey your due here in 7.5hrs get some sleep!!!!!

ohh and thanks!!

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 17d

Well, mine has 1400 odd kms on it now and it is okay.

When cold it is a little rattly however, when warm, not too bad at all and as soon as revs climb over 1200 'ish, it is fine. An this is still with mineral oil in it - should quieten down a little more with synthetic.