Colour Lcd Display - How To Remove Tinting If Damaged

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 22d

I picked up my BFII the other day and I assumed that when the dealer said "detail" they would have cleaned the screen, as it turns out it wasn't dirty but damaged, I.e. the tinting on the LCD display had been sprayed with some cleaning agent that "ate" into the tinting and disolved it.

The only way I could think of without damaging anything was to use Armorall Glass Cleaner and Windex on a rag and press firmly on the LCD (not too hard) for about 2 hours to get it all off very very slowly.

Works.

But very tedious.

Does anyone know why the LCD Screen is tinted ?

• Lost Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 7m 23d

it's not a tint as such, it is a polarizing film. I did sucessfully replace mine last year. Hardest part was tracking down the correct film with the correct orientaion. It is a fiddly pita job, not recommended. If you want further info, let me know. Might take a while for me to find it though, but I did keep it.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 22d

Excellent sweet. Would like futher info please.

Wouldn't mind a fresh look for it from a resale perspective, the interior is perfect except for this.

• Lost Member
  • Donating Members

Ok, cost was about $28 inc delivery from US about 9 months ago. Comes extremely well packed, looks like an A4 (approx 6" x 10") tinted contact with release agent on both sides. The guy I found is named George at Light polarization

He was extremely helpful and patient with me. He chose the film for me based on info I supplied him with.

You have to be extremely clean when applying as you only get one chance with this stuff.

It took quite a while with many emails exchanged between us to achieve the correct result, I'm not gonna post it all here. I did keep a copy and have emailed to others that have asked, if you want the same just ask.

good luck.

• Member For: 14y 4m 13d

G day Nifty, how did you remove the tinted film from the display. My display is badly scratched (fairly deep scratches) and was wondering how you went about removing the existing film to replace with the new stuff? Thanks,

Cheers Ben

• Lost Member
  • Donating Members

damn carefully, as I didn't know what I was doing or if I was actually damaging it more to a state beyond repair. Use a sharp stanley knife blade to lift the edges then just peel back evenly. It will take quite a lot of force to remove. There will be glue residue, like a gum, left behind. It does not come off clean. Use a mild solvent like, white spirits (about $3 at local supermarket) to clean up.