Rules For Cruises And Events

Cobra

• The Thief of BadGags
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 19d
For a rule, I recommend having a decent CB radio (2watts) mandatory for a cruise. They are not expensive. If you can afford a 50k car, $200 in alcohol, $100 in petrol, you can afford $140 on a decent CB.

I discussed this very issue with Cro prior to the event. Can I say, having never been on one of these cruises before, that all of the reasons he gave me came to fruition on the day.

1). Safety & Awareness

I was able to hear continuous traffic conditions from up ahead as well as early notification of meeting points and turn-off points. There is nothing worse than having to do a sudden lane change because the rest of the group have pulled over suddenly.

2). Location Reports of the Group

I was able to advise the group when I had to pull over. At this time, other members of the group also stayed to offer assistance. I was also able to advise the group to continue without me when it became evident that I would be making more stops than I had hoped to do. I then had the ability to re-contact the group at a later meeting point by use of the CB.

3). Different Cruise Experience

Without the banter, it would have been just another drive amongst a bunch of strangers. The ability to talk to others (or simply listen to others), made it a whole new driving experience.

I cannot agree more strongly with Cro on this issue. The CB is a must have item. By the time I bought the CB, batteries and re-charger, it was over $200. But the value I got from it on the day was enough to make up for it. :blink:

Honest Gaza

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 20d
I only have one major complaint about he Snowy's weekend and all involved would agree I think.

The Snowy's trip was the best cruise I've been on, for many reasons. One of those reasons was the fact that the pace was set to "cruise" speed, not higher. If we're being "open and honest" about it, I believe that the only reason we were doing that pace was because of the wake up call.

We all seem to agree what needs to happen, so let's stop talking about it and actually do something about it, before it's too late.

Andrew, I hope that you haven't mis-understood any of my comments/intentions. I believe that we should encourage MORE families and I understand that this means more un-scheduled stops and incidents ... hey, that's just kids, ok. When I suggest that we should keep together more, it's not because people with kids are falling behind or holding us up .... I'll always be 3 hours behind schedule if it means someone has to stop for a toilet break or clean green bile from the upholstery. :lol:

We're (mostly) adults here ... let's make some changes to ensure everybody's safety and comfort on future cruises.

2.2c + 2.2c

Ken is spot on once again.

Andrew has a lot of experience with cruises, he was keeping a eye on me during Jindy, and I certainly appreciated it. If there were any hazards, he would relay them to me via CB. It worked very well IMO.

Cars spreading out is a bad idea I reckon. If someone leaves the road, and if nobody sees it, who will stop and help him? :smilielol:

If my car left the road because of a blown tyre, car stalled, brake failure or whatever, I certainly hope some members will pull over and help me! But if nobody is watching me, or saw me leave the road, im all on my own until somebody realises im missing..........

• Member For: 20y 8m 30d

One thing on the Snowies cruise I thought was great was that people did in fact stop by to offer help.

To the two cars that turned around to check on my situation after my abrupt stop after the shopping centre stop, I thankyou.

I'm miffed that my brother broke down and I had to leave the pack before getting to the end point, that's life I guess. But at least every one checked on me to make sure myself and dad were ok. I know for a fact I made sure a few people pulled over were ok as well, I guess it's in my nature.

With the 'lead' pack you're all speaking about, it looked to me that we wernt spread out more than... say 700 odd meters. I thought the closeness was great and actually supprised me somewhat. Usually in groups I've been in, every one seemed to be in their own club.

The family atmosphere was definately there on the weekend as well. Dad was supprised that a majority of us were not angsty late teen hooligans ready to race till some one got hurt. He was very impressed. He's hoping on winning a GT in some raffle he entered (heres hoping he does so I dont have to tear my keys from his hand again :lol:) and can't wait to come along to the next cruise. With the positive report he gave mum, she's definately looking forward to participating as well.

Cro you're so right about the CB's, that definately added to the experience of the day. For me $500 odd well worth spent. I think I'll even leave the radio on permanately instead of just for occasions like this.

I loved the weekend and cant wait to be part of another one again in the near future.

ChrisP

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 20d
With the 'lead' pack you're all speaking about, it looked to me that we wernt spread out more than... say 700 odd meters. I thought the closeness was great and actually supprised me somewhat. Usually in groups I've been in, every one seemed to be in their own club.

I think the only reason we were all so "close" was because of the wake up call.......

I like the closeness too.

• Member For: 20y 8m 28d

Hi All

This is very common sense stuff, and has been bounced around between a few forum members for some time.... Sadly some people will probably resist these efforts, and it will be up to us as a group to decide if the cost of losing the membership of a few people is worth the creation of a set of rules.

Like everything in life a balance must be sought...

On the Snowy trip last weekend, the roads into & out of Murray 1 were signposted for 80kph, and were really fun to drive - but some members may not have had the confidence (or experience) to drive at that speed... I hope that any rules drafted takes this into account, forcing everyone to drive to the lowest skill level of all the drivers present will also lead to boredom and frustration.

• Team Blueprint
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 2d

Well I think we are all in agreement that a CB should be a must (if not compulsory) on all cruises. I bought mine for the weekend and was a great investment...

If for no other reason that it kept a certain feline well entertained for the whole 2 days... which meant I could concentrate on my driving and the wonderful surrounds..... and not having to listen to her :hrmm:

Also... it made me feel part of the "group" :veryangry:

my 2 cents worth says that (as Cro said) we can all afford $50K for a car... we should all have to kick the tin for a CB to go cruising with. Also if someone is doing something stupid... they can be asked to desist immediately... hopefully before it becomes a problem. :huh:

• I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m
With the 'lead' pack you're all speaking about, it looked to me that we wernt spread out more than... say 700 odd meters.

I think the 'pack' was more there on Saturday, on the way down from Sydney to Canberra. Several cars were some distance ahead of the others (like, not within sight). Those that were there also know that some excessive speeds were driven, although I must say that I don't think people were constantly driving at very high speeds. Still, I accept that it does not look good, especially if there is a bunch of cars together driving like that. I apologise if anyone was offended or upset by what happened.

Guest cul08r
  • Guests

Time to throw my view in again.

I think as a whole that the weekend went good. People need to be aware that their action on a cruise not only affect them within the group, but also within the community.

The police officer, right or wrong, had a negative view of the cruise because he alleged that the first group of cars was travelling at 134km/h. If we had all been travelling together though, he might have pulled us over for obstructing traffic, driving too slow etc, I have seen it before.

If people want to blatantly break the speed limit for extended distances, I suggest that they move to the Nt or go to a race track. That's what places like Wakefield do track days for. There is no need for excessive speed on public roads. Having said that, I am the first person to give my car the odd punt, and will do a little over the speed limit IF the conditions and environment allow. to say otherwise would be hypocritical.

I will draft up some basic rules, and people can email me suggestions from there. What do people think about signing an indemnity sheet before a cruise starts? No-one really answered last time I asked...

Andrew

• Flower Power
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 9d
What do people think about signing an indemnity sheet before a cruise starts? No-one really answered last time I asked...

Andrew

It will just strengthen what is said by the organiser before any cruise. This time in writing which is a good idea.

• Member For: 21y 3d
although I must say that I don't think people were constantly driving at very high speeds. Still, I accept that it does not look good, especially if there is a bunch of cars together driving like that. I apologise if anyone was offended or upset by what happened.

I think the only one upset about it was the policeman. Apart from the occasional spurt we were not driving much above the speed limit.I think on the next cruise we should do the posted speed limits.