Short Throw Install

Rancidpunx

• Brisbanes Resident Detailer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 8d

The missus got me a Short throw shifter for the FG 6 Speed ute for Xmas which I put in today. Fairly simple and ive taken some pictures for others who may be interested.

The shifter is from Mal Wood Auto and makes a nice difference in shift feel and timing. Its very direct and gives you a lot of confidence even over the standard 6speed, which I thought was great any way.

I drained the oil as well and put in some Penrite SYN ATF. The consensus seems to be between this and TransZ but the shop was out of that.

You will need to pull apart the centre console a little to get started. Open the armrest/storage bin and pull up the plastic centre panel above the cup holders. Theres about 8 clips that hold it on and its easiest to pull up and towards the ICC. Before removing it pull out the electrical plugs for the Aux power supply and also the Aux audio input. Then Disconnect the Gear shifter plastic surround from the underside and slip it off and away.

Last thing to do is remove the two 9mm screws that hold the black inner boot frame to the console. One on the drivers side the other on the passenger side.

DSC07519.jpg

that's all you really need to remove to get the access. Then its out side to get on your back. Or not if you have a hoist.

First up, jacked up the car on the passenger side and stood it on stands before getting under it. Located the Drain plug which is on the drives side at the rear of the box. Even has DRAIN stamped into it.

DSC07510.jpg

The plug requires a 3/8 square drive bit or if you can find one, a 3/8 ratchet. I used a ratched with a short extension.

DSC07515.jpg

The oil comes out fairly quick so be ready to catch it. Leave it to drain for a fair while then put the plug back in.

Next with a 13mm spanner you need to locate the inner boot frame retaining nuts. There are 4 of them and not visible until your right under the car. They are up and to the rear of the cross member and drive shaft. Picture is with them removed.

DSC07508.jpg

The rear two are easy to get off but the front two are a little harder as the access is restricted. Once done its back into the car.

Keep the 13mm spanner as you will need it now to unbolt the upper section of the shifter and its surround and then remove the boot frame completely, frame and rubber boot.

DSC07516.jpg

DSC07507.jpg

Now you will need to remove the actual shift itself. 13mm again, I used a socket with extension bar to loosen the bolts and then the screwdriver attacment to undo them. Theres no room really to manoeuvre the ratchet. Be super careful with the front passenger side bolt as the cars bodywork over hangs it (the picture doesnt show it) and you will need the socket on an angle. That is, unless you have fancy sockets and ratchets with swivel joints.

DSC07511.jpg

Clean up and mess on the face of the box and I got a plastic syringe and got rid of the last of the oil that had not drained.

With a funnel I dumped in the new oil straight into the shifter mounting. 4lts as suggested elsewhere, and can confirm noise is defiantly down. Near as dammit 4lts came out when I drained it also.

I used a little loctite gasket maker on the shifter mounting face and put in the new shifter and began the whole process in reverse. Then took if for a spin and had a beer. Thanks also to Phantmxr6 for his answers.

DSC07512.jpg

DSC07513.jpg

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

Topic Stickied....

Nice clean and easy install instructions mate :shocked:

I'd recommend anyone with a T56 or TR6060 (or even a T5) to get a short shifter kit from Mal wood, very nice unit and improves the driving experience!

• 1 year later...
  • Mal Wood Automotive
  • Member For: 21y 10d

Well done and what a great advert for our shifters, the FG shifter has now run out and I am in the process of building more so if anyone wants one just email me and I will put you on the list.

Mal Wood

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 8d

Im keen top know too, does the oil have to be drained or just a recommendation?

Any pics of the completed project mate, just so I can see the height of it installed

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 8m 8d

Im keen top know too, does the oil have to be drained or just a recommendation?

Any pics of the completed project mate, just so I can see the height of it installed

No, but just make sure that you stop any debris falling in.

Cheers

• Like 1

• Member For: 17y 10m 1d

Short throw does not mean shorter in height, Mal Wood shifters are manufactured with a different pivot point, which increases the throw but still retains a reasonable length so as not to creat a hard gear stick to use, even though the spring rate has also been optimised, many believe you just cut the gear stick doen to make a short throw shifter