Short Throw Install

Rancidpunx

• Member For: 4y 11m 16d

I have the hurst shifter and the tr6060 in a ba. the old boot is totalled and the only ones I have found have a round metal ring at the top which sits very high up the hurst shaft.
I might just make my own or something.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

you have to take the metal ring off, basically, then install the plastic bit, that comes with the hurst stick, into the standard boot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 18d

So who's tried more than one short shifter?

I much prefer the feel of 1-6 with the core short shifter over the mal wood ultimate street shifter. But given the ultimate street shifter goes into reverse without force I'll stick with it.
The core shifter feels like it has stiffer springs in it and gives a firmer shift. Both go through the gears real nice but I much prefer the firmer feel of the core shifter.

Hoping I'll be able to tinker with the core shifter to make it work a bit better.

So who's tried the GM Rip shifter? Thoughts?

• Member For: 17y 10m 25d

As far as I know, the Mal Wood shifter does not have a spring. The Magnum's have a detent spring, which is a sealed unit that screws into the R/H side on the gearbox. It is this spring that gives you resistance and gate pressure. I think that the difference in the height of the shifters that you're using, is affecting the leverage on the detent spring and using less resistance to push through it...

See link for a pic of a dentent spring

Detent spring

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 19d

I have the aeroflow short shifter and you feel and hear everything from the Gearbox now, especially with the new clutch.

With the stock cluck it didn't feel as bad, but still with the stock gear stick you had that solid feel and no noise, due to the black rubber separating the gear lever from the block that bolts to the shifter.

That block of rubber is solid and it is the reason why you don't hear or feel anything from the gearbox.

MKxrqBc.jpg 

You can actually see the rubber in this picture, even though it is painted. It is where the lever meets the solid block on the left side of the picture.

The fact that it is painted is what makes that block look like it is one solid piece.

I have been trying to replicate that feel for a few years now with different stuff, with no success.

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 18d
As far as I know, the Mal Wood shifter does not have a spring. The Magnum's have a detent spring, which is a sealed unit that screws into the R/H side on the gearbox. It is this spring that gives you resistance and gate pressure. I think that the difference in the height of the shifters that you're using, is affecting the leverage on the detent spring and using less resistance to push through it...

See link for a pic of a dentent spring

Detent spring
It definately does, to center the shifter when in neutral and help pull it across when going 2-3 etc.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

The stronger spring brings the stick back to centre so 3rd is straight up. The most important shift 2nd to 3rd   

Short throw is achieved by changing the pivot point  

ac-short-throw.jpg

Edited by arronm