Fg Turbo Exhaust Rattle

michaelhardy

• Member For: 15y 7m 17d

Any chance someone in Victoria would be able to show me a car with this noise?

What location would we have to show you? Probably need a hoist handy to see what's going on.

Edited by FGXR6TUTE

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 15y 6m 24d

I think I know what the problem is....well what it is in my case.

I had a similar rattle too as described by most of the guys here. With the stock exhaust, my first aftermarket exhaust and just recently, with my second afer market exhaust. With the latest change in the system it got worse.

I eventually got under the car as I was able to replicate the noise by shaking the exhaust tips (obviously when it happens with teh car on it's at a higher rate of tap tap tap). I found that the cables for the park brake were touching on the mid muffler/resonater/whatever it's called. It was quite obvious as there was a clean mark on teh cables where they were touching the muffler.

I used some insulating material to wrap around the cables and put a hose clamp around them to bring the lower of the two cables up higher. As a result....dead silence!

I never got a chance to see if this was teh problem with the stock or my first aftermarket system, however it might be worth shimming under your ute to have a look at.

Nolz.

ps there's not much room under there!

EDIT...pic! The two cables were touching toward the front end of the muffler.

IMG_3683.jpg

Edited by Nolz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 3d

What location would we have to show you? Probably need a hoist handy to see what's going on.

I daresay no-one would have the right kind of hoist handy anyway, so on the ground with suspension loaded would be best.

I'm in Doncaster, working in broady. Happy to visit almost anywhere.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 25d

Mate mine is doing this too, so im guessing it is something to do with the handbrake cables. Will see what fraud has to say when it goes in for its 15k service. By the way its a FG XR6T ute in auto

All fixed thankfully it was driving me mad :shocked: ford had a look at it at the first service found the handbrake cable had come unclipped

• Member For: 15y 7m 2d

mine does the same with the hand brake, ford said it was happening with a few and were waiting for a fix from ford. mine is a manual, usually happens when the a/c compressor kicks in.

Mine's an auto, and the rattle kicks in when the a/c cranks up too. Seems like a common problem. I thought it was something in the tray, but it sound like I'm wrong from what everyone is saying.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 25d

All fixed thankfully it was driving me mad :bowdown: ford had a look at it at the first service found the handbrake cable had come unclipped

Ok so I spoke too soon, less than a week and the rattle is back. Im sure whatever it is I could easily fix but that's not the point so ill send it back

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 7m 17d

I jacked mine up on some ramps last week, and had someone sit in the ute, in drive, a/c on and foot on the brake. As I expected, the noise was coming from the handbrake cables as per Nolz pic above. Nothing had come unclipped, however the 2 cables had rotated in the clip (which can be seen in the picture) and the 2 cables were touching each other. I twisted each cable within the clip so they would stay aprat and that stopped it briefly.

Unfortunately the vibration has come back although not as bad as it was. I think the vibration is induced by the resonance of the exhaust (all stock).

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 3d

Yep my FG XR6T Ute sounded like an old Diesel motor at a certain rpm. Have had the centre muffler replaced, heat shield replaced and had the tub taken off to address rattling at idle. Ford are waiting for a fix to raise the rpm but as other members have mentioned this is another way of fobbing us off (it should be relatively quick fix considering tune shops can raise it no probs). It has fixed the rattles and noises and the utes running like a dream. The ute has just hit ova 20000kms (2008 model) and no other issues.

Edited by Boog72

• Member For: 15y 6m 24d

Just a follow up on what I've done.....The hose clamp around the hand brake cables seems to have remedied the situation 100%, in my case at least. Worth a look into as it seems to be quite common issue, and a fix which is just as easy. Personally I wouldn't waste my time with FRAUD and would reccomend you shimmy underneath and have a good look first, just to see if you can't deal with it yourself.

• Member For: 14y 22d

Ive got a ute the same as well. 09 FG xr6t auto ute 8500km on the clock and when im stopped in drive I can hear the same noise everyone is talking about seems to be worse if I have a trailer on or im on hill with the back of the ute faceing down hill. Other then that all is good with it but will be getting Ford to look at it