Fg 6 Speed Manual

Ace

• blind leading the blind
  • Member For: 15y 7m 7d

hey guys - well I have decided it is time to get rid of the thurple beast and replace it with something a bit newer (that's the plan anyway) just wondering what every thinks of the FG 6 speed manual box compared to the BA-BF T56?? - having owned a 5 Speed and test driven a couple of 6 speed BFs I am thoroughly dissappointed with the 6 speed - it is clunky and horrible - have they fixed this in the FG??

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 9m 30d

Describe your definition of horrible?

Mine seems to be ok. But it's fitted with a Mal Wood shifter and has a guts full of Penrite SIN ATF to help keep the rollover noise down.

When cold sometimes the 1-2 shift is slightly notchy but not what I'd call unacceptable.

Bearing in mind the power and torque transfer capability of the box it must be built strong and some small sacrifice in noise and feel could be tolerated.

• blind leading the blind
  • Member For: 15y 7m 7d

I just found the T56 to be very wide and clunky compared to my T5 which is much smoother - jut find the 2nd - 3rd change takes years to complete - maybe I just needed to get used to it but first impressions werent good for the T56 - I just hope the new box is better

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 4d

The FG's use a new box, the TR6060, which is meant to be a more refined gearbox.

From what I have read, this may be the case, but the rest of the driveline is sloppy, so you will still get clunking.

You also need to remember that the T5 gearbox you were used to, was over it's limit in the T's and tended to break often. The T56 and TR6060 are much stronger and thus will not shift as quick as a T5. You can only choose 2 out of 3 when it comes to Shift quality, strength and reliability in these massivly tourquey cars.

I also fail to see why anyone would choose a manual over the awesome ZF in the Falcon range, unless you wer planning to compete in the Nations Cup or Targa racing.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 10d

I had exactly the problems you described with the old 6 speed, and I found the T5 alright but not great.

The FG 6 speed is in a whole new world. triple synchros, and other crazy shifter stuff (can't remember what).. feels like my MGB gearbox (that's a good thing), only issue is that it can make rattling noises in neutral.. go drive one...you'll love it. :yes-sir:

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 22d

Since filling mine with Transmax Z it feels fine. The wife can drive it easily. Only ever missed the 2/3 shift once during drags. Don't know what you are talking about to be honest...

Around town, I wish I'd purchased the auto, but once I find a nice twisty hill section, I just love self-shifting! Each to their own, but I'll always choose manual.

• Member For: 19y 6m 3d

I'm the same, seriously considering a new FG Turbo, currently my BA2 6 speed is absolutely rubbish. Clunky, long shifts, clunky oh and did I mention clunky!!!! I'm over it, I prefer my other half's fiesta manual, short, quick and quite as a mouse. Even coasting in traffic it shunts and clunks, rubbish!!!!

Now because of this nightmare I can't decide weather to go FG in auto or manual, I love the feel of a manual (when its a nice box to drive) but I know auto is faster and its a great box, but I haven't driven a FG manual yet.

I'm keen to hear other peoples experiences with the manual, I know its a new box upgrades etc but are they an improvement over the BA-BF manuals?

• Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 24d

The FG 6 speed is in a whole new world. triple synchros, and other crazy shifter stuff (can't remember what)

dont forget piece of crap clutch. its weak as.

and all 3 synchros in 2nd gear are weak :P

• Member For: 17y 29d

I also fail to see why anyone would choose a manual over the awesome ZF in the Falcon range, unless you wer planning to compete in the Nations Cup or Targa racing.

Horses for courses mate! To each their own.

I could reply to your post with something like "I fail to see why anyone would enjoy driving an auto over a manual, unless your only interest is in 1/4 mile times, or your skill level just isnt up to driving a manual. Manual driving is so much more involving (and fun) than any auto box, regardless of how good it is", but I'm not as judgemental of slushbox steerers as you seem to be of real drivers! LOL

Edited by craiginmackay