Ps3 Owners Who Go Online.

ebxmple

• Member For: 16y 2m 20d

Hey all,just wanted to find out what others use or can reccommend for going online with the PS3. At the moment I use a netgear CG814WG wireless cable modem gateway and even when wired to ps3 its crap for COD4. So am after advice on what modem/router others are using and how they find online gaming with their setup.Thanks.

Its a pain in the ass as it wont pick up other players and when it does the game might go for like 5 seconds then freeze and kick me off. Most of the time it times out and starts looking for players again. GTA4 works ok on wireless but if theirs alot of people in a deathmatch it kicks me off. Laptop works fine on wireless but think my modem/gateway might be pox for online PS3 gaming. Mines turboss777

• ANGEL EYES
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 28d

Run a cable and don't do wireless IMO. I'm sure smicky will correct me if wrong!

beerchug.gif

• Are we there yet?
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 20d

Generally speaking you will get better performance from a wired connection over wireless, but this is more related to throughput than stability. However, if you aren't getting a good local WLAN signal then definitely toss a cable from your router to your PS3 and see if it fixes the problem.

There is a good chance your issue may be with your router / modem's Intrusion Prevention (IPS) settings. I have to turn most of mine off when using Burnout Paradise, or the modem continually resets the ADSL interface trying to stop the traffic from the PS3 that it thinks is an intrusion attempt. My suspision is that some games attempt P2P style connections between gamers which is why you sometimes need to open incoming ports.

Try looking in the "FIREWALL" settings of your router for IPS / IDS configuration and temporarily disable whatever is on. See how it goes for a while and see if it is stable. If it isn't, then put them all back on. Otherwise, try turning diferent options on 1 by 1 and see which one is causing the kicks.

Alternatively, you may just have high latency to the server due to its location and there is not much you can do about that... unless you are planning on on becoming a Septic Tank!!

Cheers.

• Are we there yet?
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 20d

Almost forgot, there is also some people saying that having the "Media Server" option enabled on the PS3 causes Internet dropout. I personally don't think this could really be a cause, but might be worth turning the option off and see if it stablises.

The Media Server setting is under the "Network Settings" (I think).

Cheers,

Aaron

• Member For: 18y 3m 7d

I use a dlink wireless and it is good. Usually get all green or yellow sometimes red in cod but I just go to another server. My router broke a little while back and I had to use a netgear and it was so so sh*t very laggy and I could never get above 1bar red conectionin any game or server

Thanks for all the replys guys. Connected the cable and it made no difference...maybe cos its a 15mtr cable ha. Anyway disconnected cable and now wireless aint working at all(fark).. Will have another go tommorrow and maybe ring tech support. Will try the firewall settings aswell so hopefully have some joy tommorrow night.