Triple Plate Clutch

Joey

• Member For: 16y 5m 26d

Hey guys!

Recently I had a triple plate clutch installed in a bid to fix my clutch issues. Figured it was time to upgrade to something decent!

Only issue I have now is that it makes a weird metal-on-metal scraping noise when I have the clutch pedal pushed in. I was told this is normal, but it is very audible outside the car and sounds terrible! Has anyone else got a triple plate that can relate to this? As it stands it is a little hard to drive and quite clunky, but I guess you get that with a clutch that doesnt slip! Up-side is I can drop the clutch in 5th at 100k's an hour and its solid as a rock.

Any suggestions? Should I be going back to get this checked out by my tuner or is this normal?

Joe

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 22d

Triple plate clutch? What brand is this? The noise you are hearing is normal for a multi plate with hard surfaces, my twin plate Tex clutch does it too. I believe its caused by the plates moving together when they are pushed away from the flywheel. The shuddering is from the high friction compound and a high strength pressure plate. trying to grip and slip at the same time.

That thing must be rated to pretty high hp cos my tex feels tough as nails after 20,000kms, can't imagine why you'd need a triple...

I believe its an Extreme triple plate. I had a heavy duty exedy piece of crap before that couldnt hold the grunt. I have it tuned to about 340KW at the wheels currently. Basically it came down to a grand of difference between a twin or a triple plate, so I figured I was better to do something that would never need to be replaced, and that was that. That's interesting about the noise, it certainly sounds something like that. It of course goes away when the clutch is let out, so doesnt sound too serious. Just interested to hear someone else's opinion.

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 2d

If you dont mind me asking, what was wrong with the range Mal Wood offers? The option 3 would hold that power all day, and still feel like a stock clutch to drive.

• Member For: 16y 3m 7d

Joey,

Sounds like floater plate rattle from no load. Shouldn't bother anything other than your patience, but yeah it is annoying.

Other multi plates have finger springs on the floater plates to locate them when clutch is depressed. They are quiet as.

Other than that, sounds like a good unit.

Haha yeah, I think its a patience thing more than anything. Just kind of annoying to be sitting in your 340rwkw car at the KFC drivethrough with the thing rattling and scraping like an old Datto 120y... Lucky its quiet when it counts I spose (like half way down the quarter mile)

I did look at the mal wood stuff mate, but in the end I went with my tuners recommendations. They have had good success with the Extreme triple plates and guarantee them not to slip, so that was enough for me. Although the little springs to stop the rattles would be nice :(

Also I was a bit reluctant to screw around trying to go on the cheap, as last time I did that I asked for a twin plate and the bastards at Rocky motorsport fitted a bloody sh*thouse exedy sports tuff clutch single plate, which lasted about 3 months... Muppets.