Please Help With My Drag Questions

deanodirt

• Member For: 15y 3m 15d

Hi all,

Took the the XR6 turbo to townsville drags the other night, it is BA seriesII 6 speed manual I have had it tuned in Mackay by Dave currently running 304RWKW I ran a best of 13.2 at 108mph with a gentle launch, tried a hard launch and got a 14 it spun 1st 2nd and 3rd to 1/2 track. I am going out again soon things I will try slicks for traction to start with still running stock inlet will try running a pod filter on the turbo ,thinking of getting a flange put in the exhaust between the turbo discharge and the catalytic convertor and move the exhaust to the side when dragging, I have a standard exhaust with centre muffler removed. is there any other things I can try and are there any issues with dropping the exhaust?

Regards Dean

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 2d

"thinking of getting a flange put in the exhaust between the turbo discharge and the catalytic convertor and move the exhaust to the side when dragging"

you will need a retune to do this

The mph indicates you need to practise the gear changes - I use the cheaters 6 speed and got 113.9mph with 277rwkw at the same track.

What tyres and pressures were you using.

I have 45 profile 18" and pressure was around 35 which is a bit high going to get some slicks, gear change is a bit ordinary it was my first time having a run what is the cheaters 6 speed? with the current tune Dave said I could change the exhaust and would not need to have a retune but it would be a bit different to running straight out of the dump pipe I suppose. thanks for the feedback

• Donating Members

cheaters 6 speed is the auto :)

changing muffler won't require a retune as the cat is the main restriction, taking the cat out and full rev runs will cause overboost issues.

Speak to Dave though, he is a guru

pressure at 30psi would help

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 25d

you will need a tune if you modify the dump pipe and cat, as it is going to over boost.

I would be throwing it on the dyno even if you only change the cat back exhaust just to check that it isnt doing anything stupid.

and with your launches, that takes a bit of practice, its a really fine line.

launch it too hard and it breaks into wheelspin..

launch it too soft and it bogs down.

keep on hitting the strip until you can get your launches perfected.

as for tyre pressures, I would be running around 20 psi for the drags, even on street tyres.

and as for your shifts, I would try flat shifting through 1st to 4th and see how you go!

manuals are an art to get quick times out of at the drags strip.

Thanks for the replies gents, would it be of benefit to get a dump pipe after the cat to reduce the over boost issue, I would like to set up a drag tune and a normal tune for the street it is a bit of a drive heading to mackay to see Dave each time unless there is someone in Townsville that can be trusted to do this the car had been previously tuned in townsville and I was not happy with the tune that's why I went to Dave. any ideas would be appreciated. with the 1st to 4th wouldn't that bog down not sure if that's what you are trying to get across.

Regards Dean

• Donating Members

is yours tuned with a flash box, if so you can get dave to do a race tune and just load it up whenever you want to use it.

flatshifting every gear change 1st to 4th, so 1st, to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc, takes some practise but keeps the engine on boost. Nice youtube video from cairns gives you a good demo

Had a chat with Dave with my tune I can get a dump flange put on after the cat to stop fluctuations in flow and help prevent over boost also when I race I use octane boost with BP ultimate which will help prevent pinging I will move the battery over to the passenger side and setup the pod filter where the battery was with a set of slicks will hopefully get a 12 which Dave said is pretty good for a manual car, due to the time loss with gear change.

Regards Dean