Gt42 Internals Into Gt35/40

blkf6

• Member For: 15y 2m 26d

getting this turbo built atm which they have predicted to make around 500rwkw comfortably just wondering if this power figure is achievable with that turbo? With such big internals in a medium sized turbo how much will lag increase by compared to a standard gt35/40?

if any1 knows of similar turbo's built (eg. bigger internals in smaller turbo) some feedback on how they perform would be great

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 11d

I presume you're doing this so you don't have to change your exhaust manifold? which is the main problem!

I was going to have a GT35 with T04Z internals made up, but I was strongly advised against it.

I'm sure Leigh will be along soon to explain his garden hose example :thumbsup:

• Member For: 17y 16d

Haha the old garden hose theory!

Basically by the time you engineered a turbo with bigger wheels to fit inside a gt35 you could have paid for a manifold etc and had a proper setup. This is without even considering that once you did squeeze the bigger internals into the gt35 that the housing and stock manifold would become so much of a restriction that it would basically negate any gains that you would see. The end result would be lots of lag with not much power increase and you would be a very disapointed camper.

My back to back testing on only 10 psi showed that the stock manifold is costing 12% power as it is, the more power you make the more power it will cost you so trying to cheat the system so to speak simply does not work.

• Member For: 15y 2m 26d

hrmmmmmm I dont think so jetbt1 runs a similar turbo setup and seems to be running awsome, so how it goes I guess........

• Member For: 15y 6d

To put GT42 or even T04Z parts into a GT35R core would be a huge job. Only a couple of turbo shops in Australia could do it and even then no one could balance it unless they made custom mandrels for a VSR. The expense would be huge. The GT35R bearing pack would not be able to cope with the big GT42R turbine and compressor wheels so would be a huge failure. And even if the bearing pack didn’t self destruct and the shaft didn’t break into two. The housing to wheels combo will be very bad.

If you want to do a good conversion. Put a complete T04Z or Billet Z-P core into the factory Ford comp & exhaust housings. You are going to need some new water and oil lines but it is a conversion that most good turbo shops with marching facilities can do and it will work very well.

It will work better than just putting a T04Z compressor wheel on your standard turbo.

Site sponsor Hiro can get it done for you.

• Legendary member!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 7d

If you want to do a good conversion. Put a complete T04Z or Billet Z-P core into the factory Ford comp & exhaust housings.

What would the results be like if you were to do as you mentioned and replace the standard turbo core with a complete T04Z core but then use a larger compression housing (.70) and replace the exhaust housing with a Cast Garret unit that allows you to run an external gate and does away with the internal?

How much would it cost go go through with such an exercise?

Edited by Dirty32