My Turbo Has Died

orlimarbabe

• Member For: 14y 4m 20d

Hi. I need help ... please :blink: . I have a 2002 BA XR6T and been told by a mechanic that my turbo has blown up and I need a new one. I can't afford buying whats needed from Ford and I've been quoted by another source $3,300 for a new one. Does anyone have any idea about where I can get a new (whatever I need) and not pay the big bucks. I am in Canberra but happy to get the parts etc from anywhere (within reason). Thinking of scrapping it at the moment but I love it too much to do that. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 15d

Mate the first rule of XR6T ownership is DO NOT BUY PARTS FROM FORD unless nobody else has them.

Ford have massive markups on parts and you can easily save 50% on most things.

As for your question, you are better to save up and buy the right parts new, as going cheap by getting 2nd hand may end up costing you more in the long run.

eBay and this site may also help as there are turbos coming up all the time.

FTG Autosalvage do 2nd hand parts and may have some recon bits. What you need to find out is what parts you need to fix the problem.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 7m 26d

Hi. I need help ... please :blink: . I have a 2002 BA XR6T and been told by a mechanic that my turbo has blown up and I need a new one. I can't afford buying whats needed from Ford and I've been quoted by another source $3,300 for a new one. Does anyone have any idea about where I can get a new (whatever I need) and not pay the big bucks. I am in Canberra but happy to get the parts etc from anywhere (within reason). Thinking of scrapping it at the moment but I love it too much to do that. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Hey mate, I asked a guy at MTQ turbo's in toowoomba how much for a new GT35 and he said they were about 2grand. If that helps give them a ring.

• Member For: 17y 18d

Just one little question, but what makes the mechanic thing the turbo has blown up???

I am not doubting the mechanic but I am sure you want to be 100% sure that's the problem before laying down $2K for a new one.

Cheers

James

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 4d

lol...much easier to diagnose something as 'blown up' rather than potentially only spending a few hundred on repairs :thumbsup:

Like the others mentioned - get a proper diagnosis first.

Hi everyone and thanks for getting back to me. The mechanic has advised that he can get some parts cheaper now so I can get it all fixed (computer, turbo, housing, service, brakes machined etc) for $5,500.00 incl labour which is much better. I think they think the turbo has gone because when they hook it up to the computer about 25 codes go off to say stuff is wrong with the car, and also when you drive it and put your foot down, there is no boost anymore, it does nothing and aparently bits are falling off it (and they are scared that if we keep driving it a piece may get sucked up and screw up the engine) - so it sounds pretty "blown up". Is that what you guys think? Can you tell I have no idea ... I just drive it and love it. They are ex-ford guys and have a pretty good rep here in Canberra, so I have to trust that. ETM, thanks for the offer, I've given them your website to have a look at re parts etc. Do you guys think this is the right way to go? I've decided I don't want to scrap it cause I'd only get about $3k for it and it's too good for that.

Thanks so much for replying to me ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I got the car back yesterday and it's working better than it ever has. Cost $5,800 but it's a dream - and the new turbo is awesome. Found out what happened ... the oil got blocked ... that simple ...