Calling Any Techies...

Chich

• Damn You's A Sexy Chich
  • Member For: 16y 2m 8d

yeah, I just ordered a 1.3b off ebay.. $25 or something... see how it goes, if its sh*t, at least it was only $25... haha

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate it :thumbsup:

Edited by Chich

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blind leading the blind
  • Member For: 15y 7m 14d

chich you are a lazy farker - just go down to ya local dick smith and buy one - its not that hard

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members

The difference in prices comes with the different specs of HDMI cables. the early HDMI cables were classified as 1.2 and later as 1.2a and these are not any good for HD tvs and blue ray players. They then released the 1.3 followed by the 1.3a and later the 1.3b the later one being capable of transferring sound and pictures at a better quality thus the price difference, unless you have one of the new and very expensive 200htz HDTVs then you are better off saving your money and getting the 1.3 cable but I would not want to pay anything under $30 dollars cause you might be getting a 1.2 cable. I also read somewhere that Sony was going to release an ultra expensive 1.4 HDMI cable for its new generation of 200 htz tvs.

Hope this helps

Pretty much spot on...

However doesnt the PS3 have an issue processing HDMI 1.3?

I believe while it decodes v1.3 deep colour recorded, it is not able to decode the full audio bit stream?

It does extract core audio however I dont know that is has the ability then send the full bandwidth of the signal into the cable and therefore into the processor (receiver).

Therefore a 1.3 cable is not worth it in this case.

I honestly can't remember all the details for the PS3 however.

Anyone know the details on this one?

:thumbsup:

Someone please teach- I wish to be learner'ed.... :roflmbo:

• ANGEL EYES
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 3d

Get a cheapo cable IMO and if you do have any playback issues change it over asap.

beerchug.gif

• 12" member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 1d

mate save yourself time, money and frustration and just buy it from HDMI Cables for Plasma and LCD TV, DMI Cables, Projector cables .. the guy is on the DTV forums and its the only place ive ever bought HDMI cables from apart from 1 from JB's when I needed one that day.

cheap, realiable, very fast postage and never had a problem with anything no sparklies nothing !!

Edited by nang3

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 21d

Pretty much spot on...

However doesnt the PS3 have an issue processing HDMI 1.3?

I believe while it decodes v1.3 deep colour recorded, it is not able to decode the full audio bit stream?

It does extract core audio however I dont know that is has the ability then send the full bandwidth of the signal into the cable and therefore into the processor (receiver).

Therefore a 1.3 cable is not worth it in this case.

I honestly can't remember all the details for the PS3 however.

Anyone know the details on this one?

:surrenderwave:

Someone please teach- I wish to be learner'ed.... :biggrin:

The old models of PS3 decode the message and send as full LPCM via HDMI which is no different to the amp seeing the signal as bitstream then decoding it itself. What you dont get is the wank of seeing DD or DTS appearing on the front of the amp as its already decoded, you would only see LPCM and the number of speakers active.

I did hear that the new PS3 will bitstream full 7.1 audio now so those wankers can see there DD or DTS signals but dont own one so cant verify this at this stage.

It does support the latest 1.3c and will be interesting if it is software upgradable to handle 1.4 but as far as I'm aware the only difference with 1.3c and 1.4 is resolution (1.4 being over 4k x 2k)and some things like 3D over hdmi.

As far as cable selection is concerned, the system is only as good as the weakest link so dont buy a $10k projector if your going to use $20 hdmi cables as the quality and material of the cables and its solder joints will be worse and degrade faster compared to a decent brand in a decent price range.

This is my opinion only.

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members

Cheers bud,

Havent bothered to keep all that up to date on PS3 developments...

:roflmbo:

One other thing - as for the 'wank factor' as you explained it - I dont know about u, but I would much prefer the signal in its raw form to be sent to a good quality receiver and be decoded there then via a PS3...

that's where I was trying to get info... If the unit can't sent the signal to the receiver then that's stuffed...

Like I said - I'm not really all that clued up on the PS3 developments at this stage... Something I will be sure to now run away and look into!

:biggrin:

As bjc has said - and I mentioned before, there is a big difference between a 5$ cable and 500$ cable, but you may not 'see' the difference just by looking at it in day to day use!

Internal connections of interconnects are one of the major things.

Even Jaycar 50$ optical toslink cables fall apart. In the same application a 150$ cable is still going, yet is along side a 10$ optical cable...

So buyer beware!

Dont just buy based on price - but the reputation of the company instead.

Monster - IMO is over priced, over marked cable.

Yet something like a Dai Chi or Celestra seem to out perform.

In the higher in - personally pick Supra, AudioQuest, Tara Labs, Van dan hul, and the likes.

Cheaper brands Dai Chi and Celestra.

But there are plenty of other good brands!

:thumbsup:

Edited by smicky

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 21d

Well after reading the AVS forums I can confirm that the PS3 slim does bitstream both DD True HD and DTS-HD MA as well as decode these for LPCM.

Here is a good link- AVS PS3 Slim

and proof of bitstreaming-CNET