Ba Transmission Problems

beano

• Member For: 14y 7m 1d

Hey guys recently had my transmission rebuilt on my 03 Ba xr6T after a series of problems with it, long story short most of the symptoms seemed to revolve around it slipping in and out of gear so to speak, of a morning I would start it up and sometimes it would go into drive/reverse perfectly, other mornings it would just sit there idling and revving instead of actually moving, almost liek it was in neutral even though I had it in drive/reverse. it even happened on occasion at the traffic lights or goign around the roundabout, I would take my foot off the accelerater or come to a stop, then when I went to accelerate again it would just sit and rev, and eventually jump into gear once the revs ticked over to about 3k...

anyways it finally gave in one day and I couldn't do anything to it, had to get it towed to the RAc who informed me I needed a trans rebuild, and then after that put me back out onto the road with a fully rebuilt transmission, but now only a week after I got it back, the same problems have started to surface again, although not as severe as last time..

I have not been thrashing the car since I got it back so it's not a case of my driving, was wondering if anyone else has encountered the same problem or knows what it could be?

surely it couldn't be another transmission fault right after they have rebuilt it, it has barely done 500 kilometres since I got it back, I am thinking they have lied to me and rebuilt the transmission with the knowledge that it could be somethign else and they just guessed the trans?

Any help would be appreciated guys, thanks.

• Member For: 15y 3m 25d

I had an 04 BAII XR8 with similar (but not as bad it seems) problems, twice. Particularly when stopped at lights. push the accelerator and it would all of a sudden slam into gear. Quite dangerous. I never had the dropping out of gear issue you have. Fortunately, it was under warranty and they swapped out for a new tranny twice. The 3rd box they put in was perfect and was still good when I sold it about 2 years later. What this means is, Ford (or my dealer) thought at the time the problem could only be solved by replacing the box. BTW, when they replaced the first box I was shown a heap of "sludge" which was in the bottom of the box when they took a look at it. The service manager at the time told me "this is terminal" The car was only 2,000K's old. The 2nd box went in when it was about 20,000ks. I'd be concerned about what they did when they rebuilt it. How much did it cost you?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

Is the oil in the gearbox low at all? I had the problem once in my old AU when I had it flushed by ford, they didn't fill it enough and would rev right up then slam into gear or what felt like slamming into gear to get it moving! Topped it up and all was good.

Otherwise have you checked to see if your coolant line hasn't burst through into the gearbox oil as it may do the same when milky?

Good luck with it all

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 1m 2d

Sounds just like low oil.

To properly check oil levels in these, the car needs to be level with the wheels off the ground, the trans near operating temperature, engine running and preferably in drive. Then you check the level and add if need be.

If you dont have the engine off and do it when its cold, the oil will run back into the box from the cooler and t/c and give a wrong impression that the box is full.

The difference between engine running/trans warm and engine off/trans cold is nearly 1LT. Plenty enough to make it bang into gears and free rev at the wrong times.

• Member For: 15y 3m 25d

$4200 to get it rebuilt with a lifetime warranty..

and I spoke to a guy today who seems to think it's because the oil pressure is failing?

He may be right. Lifetime warranty I guess you are covered.