Project Manual Typhoon 9 Sec

SPIKO

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 10d

Wow Spiro. Your new project sounds absolutely ridonkulous! Can't wait to hear and see more on this. My project kind of sounds part way between the "average" 600+rwkw project and your new "king of projects" at 1000+ rwkw.

The vast majority of people I've spoken to about the path/s I want to go down have had the attitude "why not let the turbo do all the work?". But I reckon if we can gain efficiency, lower cylinder pressures, and a more accurate and smooth engine, we may just gain a few psi and a nice amount of HP all at lower boost levels and less stress on components. That way, I hope to push well into the 700's (rwkw) without too much of a sweat :)

So we chose to go solid lifters, aggressive cam, extensive head work, bigger head studs, and a little extra machine work etc. The only thing I am a little worried about at this stage is the crank. I plan on spinning it to 7500 and I chose not to go down the billet crank setup due to the bang-for buck factor ( 7+ grand for a full billet crank and caps setup). What have/are you doing in that department? Lately, I've also toyed with the idea of a dry sump but haven't taken that past the thought stage. What can you say about it?

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 21d

Thanks Straughs,

You have the Right attitude regarding your setup, I'm sure you will get there. As far as crank is concerned I am running a forged billet crank, but to answer your question if you don't plan on spinning it past 7800-8000rpm you will not need one as long as you build your bottom end properly.

Hope this helps, PM me if you need to know more!

PS: DRanged I understand what you are saying, however you presume that the drive line, tyre width & suspension will be remaining the same!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 17d

That'll be good, especially for those that want to run abit more than the average but dont want a 9in. It'll be a great r&d project that im sure alot of people will benefit from, me incl. Thanks mate!!!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 17d

Be interesting to see what happens with your IRS. I know dave(blueboost) has pushed quite far with it, but ultimately busted the center.. I think he mentioned he used KPM Shaft/cv setup..

I've got the albins cv setup in the inner cv's, albins shafts, but standard outter cv's.. I didnt know they had them available at that point..

Next weaknesses are the inner cv housing which splines into the diff.. I've seen the shafts snap off.. And then there's the Diff itself... maybe a harrop trutrak center might help there?