Project Manual Typhoon 9 Sec

SPIKO

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 4d

You can get a dyno run to show whatever power you want to see, if that appeals to you, but on most non-hub dynos it will depend on how well strapped down the car is and ramp rate used.

Far more credible is a good mph in a run at the track at full weight. Don't worry to much about the time.

I know from experience, as for 3 years I copped a "dyno queen' tag. Believe me, a high speed run down the track is very exciting.

As for exhaust I was running a 4" into dual 3" over the diff in 2003, but that was not for big power, just 340-360rwkw. That was all just R&D to see the effect of changes (and for looks). The exhaust was too big for the power, but also in those days we didn't have the low restriction cats that are available now. Also, not all mufflers are created equal, and you get what you pay for. As power increases you want the least restrictive muffler possible. I put looks aside, and a few years ago went to a straight single pipe with 4" over the diff and a single low restriction muffler. Downside it is very loud, but I think in many ways it depends if the car is a daily driver, and how much noise you can take, AND if your wife is a passenger. I could probably pick up an estimated 30 rwkw by going to a screamer pipe as my wastegate is poorly integrated with the dump pipe, coming in at a 90 degrees angle.

I think you reach a point where you hit a brick wall with trying to screw more boost in. Just because your turbo might be able to provide more boost it doesn't mean that it will be able to be used efficiently in generating more power. By all means try it and see.

Brian

• Member For: 14y 7m 21d

Yes I have to do the exhaust like yours . I cant help myself I just want to find out . Any it spiko thread will be good to see how much diff a few more psi makes to the car good luck hope it go's well :thumbsup:

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 21d

Your experience and comments are alway's welcome Brian,

MPH is surely the way to go, however tuning, AFR's and torque is also as important so escaping the dyno is almost impossible, I have had my fair share of Hub dyno experience as you are aware, they do show more accurate and higher readings for obvious reasons.

As far as more boost and no power is concerend I am sure we will find out shortly (car will be tuned this coming week), this will also bring to light how well the exhaust flow's and all tests will be with the full system, I will make sure this is clearly visible on the results. This particular tune will be done on a diferent dyno as well for comparative purposes.

My front runners and slicks should be here before christmas so we will know these results in the not to distant future as well.

Cheers

Spiro

• Member For: 17y 10m 3d

Hi Brian, have managed to get your hands on the Nizpro Carbon Fibre plenum? If so, have you managed to do any testing or power runs with it? What are your thoughts on it??

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 10d

what rpm does the car see ? higher rpm is higher road speed, and with a huge turbo power should still be hangin on at 7k ? huge cams and port work would help with this. anyways good luck looks sweeeeeet :)

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members

Hi Brian, have managed to get your hands on the Nizpro Carbon Fibre plenum? If so, have you managed to do any testing or power runs with it? What are your thoughts on it??

pm sent!

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members

Spiro,

I doubt much work has been done on increasing power issues on the upper side of 600rwkw; say 1000HP at crank.

Post compressor; intercooler restriction, piping size, throttle body, plenum size & runner size and head flow capability & cams all come into the equation.... then there's the exhaust. Then there's block rigidity and reliability.

It would be good, if you could measure reliability, the extra power generated per pound increase in boost, and see how much the increase reduces with boost increase, and when you hit the limit.

Brian

• Gold Donating Members

Thank Mic,

I have been down that path before, this was not required with my current combo, the turbo will run out of puff before any of these things become an issue! I spin the street tune to 6850 and the race tune to 7200 with no drama's, the engine has done over 60K with over 400+rwkw's at these rpm levels, and I might add that it is performing flawlessly! (For now)

On a different note I have another engine combo currently in the making, it will be ready for January 2010, it will spin to 9000rpm, it has solid roller, solid lifters & rockers, it will run an 88mm Precision Billet turbo, it will be dry sumped, and it will make 1000rwkw's!! And before you all ask me the same question YES it will be a street engine going in to the F6. I do not want to divulge any more at this stage and I will be starting a different thread about this after new years. I am busy focusing on this 10sec pass for now, surely you all understand!!

Cheers

Spiko

• Gold Donating Members

Hey Brian,

I understand what you are trying to say, but surely by now you have known me long enough to agree that I am not playing game's? Let's just wait untill next week for the psi vs power test.

We will all know more when this is said and done! I will let you all know what the outcome is.

Cheers

Spiro