Project Manual Typhoon 9 Sec

SPIKO

• Member For: 15y 2m 8d

Not good news, but im sure its just motivated you to finish the intended work. You may not have been all impatient, but certainly ambitious.

Great car mate and im sure you'll get the 10 with your determined attitude.

Would love to come out next time its at the track. How good is the work that Kyle does. I heard he's working on a customers FG at the moment. Can anyone update on it? Kyle?

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 4d

Bad luck Spiro.

I'm surprised you bent the tailshaft. Maybe you gave it too much off the line, and it is a weakness.

A number of people, including myself, have bent the tailshaft in ZF auto, but that was from stalling it up off the line, but if you don't do that it seems to be ok.

I done about 4 135+ mph passes in the manual, with the tailshaft being fine.

But I'd say I only ever did one hard launch off the line in the manual, and that stuffed the clutch (AP with twin ceramics) straight away.

It's the hard launches that kills the drivetrain; a huge weight to try to shift quickly. Slicks will also give more stress to the drivetrain. I'm surprised you went out on normal tyres ... wheelspin hell, and a waste of time.

I get my car (xr6t8u) back Saturday, after 15 months off the road, so I'll be after a better clutch also, so time to talk to Mal again, and one of those wonderful cruises up Warwick.

Good luck,

Brian

• Member For: 15y 7m 24d

Anything to report over the last 15 months that might get us all excited Brian? Dying to see your car run again.

Bad luck mate. These things just dont like being manual. But I guess if you came out and did a 10 first pass what would there be left to do? Have to try and see the fun in all these situations.

GOOD LUCK!

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 4d

Fixing up original build "issues". Once you get to 600 it's more a matter of reliability rather than more power, unless you just want a dyno queen.

Designs can always be improved, but Spiro looks to have a very good setup here for making the power.

Pushing the rpm limit to 7000 and above+ puts extra stresses on the motor, and only in time can you tell how well balanced or strong a motor really is.

Get into aggressive drag racing these cars with full weight, only then are they are really tested.

I'm sure Spiro knows this, and it's a credit to him for undertaking the journey.

Brian

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 21d

Fixing up original build "issues". Once you get to 600 it's more a matter of reliability rather than more power, unless you just want a dyno queen.

Designs can always be improved, but Spiro looks to have a very good setup here for making the power.

Pushing the rpm limit to 7000 and above+ puts extra stresses on the motor, and only in time can you tell how well balanced or strong a motor really is.

Get into aggressive drag racing these cars with full weight, only then are they are really tested.

I'm sure Spiro knows this, and it's a credit to him for undertaking the journey.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

Your not wrong there, the track does seem to find the weak points effectively when you are pushing hard, this was the reason for me running on street tyres to start with, I at least now now what else I require before running with drag radials.

Hope you enjoy the car on Saturday.

Cheers

Edited by SPIKO

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 5d

Not good news, but im sure its just motivated you to finish the intended work. You may not have been all impatient, but certainly ambitious.

Great car mate and im sure you'll get the 10 with your determined attitude.

Would love to come out next time its at the track. How good is the work that Kyle does. I heard he's working on a customers FG at the moment. Can anyone update on it? Kyle?

We have already finished the Fg you speak of about 6-8 weeks ago, with C4, GT45 and associated mods. Car will be getting 4 link and 9" shortly, and yes, its still a street car;)

Thanks for the kind words Spiro! See you next week to finish off the shift light and eboost wiring. Bad luck on breaking the diff, you'll find it was axle tramp more than hp, that sh*t will kill read end components faster than anything else. I'd skip the street radials and go straight to slicks and front runners, will have info for you monday.

Ciao, Kyle.

Edited by 6BOOST

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 2d

I get my car (xr6t8u) back Saturday, after 15 months off the road, so I'll be after a better clutch also, so time to talk to Mal again, and one of those wonderful cruises up Warwick.

Good luck,

Brian

Great news mate, I love the sound of your car on full boost :3gears:

And Spiro all the best bud I'm sure you'll get there, a ten second manual T will be a huge milestone. Have you got a nice big fat cigar ready for when you do crack it?