Disabling Dsc

nik38

• Member For: 14y 9m 2d

Please explain what part is cryptic. Also,by holding the button down for a longer period it just turns on again on the dash display. On a racetrack you would be less likely to have your throttle taken away from you and brakes applied(stability control) as the track surface is not potholed and corrugated as are street roads(unless your going major sideways or understeering, however im past racedays,burnouts etc. When towing a tandem or caravan at 100klms down a sweeping hill/bend and you have that load pushing the car slighty out of shape,the last thing you want is the brakes to come in and throttle control taken away,when you really need to balance your load with the throttle. I tried to go around a bend sideways at high speed without the trailer as well, but no matter what the dash display reads,throttle cutout and unwanted braking are activated. The switch is only changing the traction control. I have suggested to ford that lowering the vehicle and reducing rebound height and lean angles may be a way to overcome dsc from coming in so soon,but I really dont want to change my ride height. This may also be a reason why guys getting their car out of shape on a regular basis are not being interupted with dsc. The guy I spoke to was pretty switched on and also came from an old hoon era,so when he said that its not meant to turn off, as hes put many fgs out of shape, I was leaning more to what he had said was true and that it was not just my car. One thing that I know 100 percent is that I have manually switched dsc on and off with dash display functioning as per owners manual and the only thing that changes is traction.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 17d

lets clarify shall we...

Dynamic Stability Control:

Contains:

Obtaining information

Steering angle sensor

4 wheel sensors

Yaw Sensor (rotation of vehicle)

Brake pedal switch

Accelerator position sensor

Control components

Throttle Position

Brake Pressure Control Module for 4 wheels

In a Falcon, the Stability Control & Traction Control turns off with the one switch, considering they share functions this is not surprising.

At launch Ford claimed the stability control would come back on if the vehicle was sliding sideways and the driver hit the brakes. My understanding was that in their opinion if the vehicle is sideways and the driver hits the brakes, he/she is out of control; something I agree with.

Even on corrugated dirt roads I leave stability control on, and can get quiet a reasonable amount of speed in corners with fair amount of slip before it gently reacts. I have not towed a Caravan on a potholed corrugated road with the stability control off, however you will find the vehicle is designed to tow with DSC on, if your drifting around corners while braking with a caravan behind you, your going too fast; in my opinion.

I imagine you may also find that with the DSC on the caravan can't spin the car. Hence the point of the system.

There is probably a fuse you can pull for the DSC system, if for some reason you still think it better to brake while drifting with a caravan behind without having a stability system.

I don't think there is an issue with DSC, I think that if your vehicle has that kind of attitude its unlikely you could stop when someone or something is in the way.

Edited by dashturbo

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 11d

Nik, I am sorry but you are wrong.

If you push the DSC button for 2sec does the orange dash light come on ?

If that light is on then DSC is OFF. This is the case with my FG GT-E.

I have done drifting at full lock with the DSC switched off and nothing put the brakes on or stopped me having this fun.

The DSC also did not turn back on when we did the FPV drive day where they show you how the car behaves with DSC on and Off.

I also have a Territory Turbo Ghia that has DSC and I can also turn this off.

I can only imagin that you are feeling the revlimiter and ABS when you are towing your caravan sideways at 100km/h, not the DSC if the light is on the dash.

Also if the DSC is activated, this light will flash when it is activated. Does this happen ?

I am not going sideways with the caravan attached to the car,if you read carefully.I am saying that when im towing down a sweeping hill and I am mid corner and hit uneven road surface or bumps which cause the car to use almost full travel with the shocks, the brakes are applied on their own without me touching the brake pedal, and my throttle gets cut off while my foot is pressing the accelerator ,I need the accelerator to pull the van as its wanting to push the rear of the car sideways and jackknife the van. So for testing purposes, I took the ute out for a drive without towing the van and tandem and proceded to get the vehicle sideways and was interupted with the throttle control, no brakes,my foot on the accelerator at roughly 5000rpm and bang, no acceleration. I also proceded to a road which has uneven road surfaces in a straight line this time didnt try going sideways, just high speed where the shocks were using a fair amount of travel and bang, braking was applied on its own and my accelerator got cutoff. yes ,braking without my foot on the brake. If I press my dsc switch the following happens: as soon as I hit the dsc switch,within 1 second,the orange icon illuminates and the message appears on the dash and reads dsc off. The message then disapears and the orange icon stays illuminated. If I keep my finger on the switch any longer than that,say 2 seconds,the message reappears,only this time it reads dsc on, and the orange icon disappears. Once I do this,I can press the button as many times as I like and nothing changes anymore and I must restart the car and start again,making sure I release the button after a second to keep the icon illuminated. So long as I dont hold the switch in longer than 2 seconds I can make the icon disapear and reapper at anytime as the manual says. Its an 09 fg turbo ute and in the owners manual it does not say anything about holding the switch in for 2 seconds. It says ,hold the switch in until icon illuminates.

• Lifetime Members

Nik,

I suggest you try the following:

Turn the DSC off so the light is on the dash, try the tests that you did before and see if the light is flashing.

If it is flashing, then somehow your DSC is engaging when is shouldn't be. If the light does not flash, then I would suspect it is the rev limiter as it is easy to hit and can feel like the brakes are on.

Ok champ,enough is enough. Ive been forced to go through crap with u lot because your making me out to be a dickhead, mate ,my rev limiter does not come in at 5000revs, I do not need to retest the car as I know what the bloody hell its doing and that's why I complained to ford. I didnt ask for advice on how to dsable dsc via the dsc button. Ive been told to hold the dsc button down for 2 seconds,which is not correct as per 09 fg ute owners manual. So you are giving me advice ? And another guys reply,venom I think it was,wrong advice also,for the 09 fg ute,actually 2 different bits of useless non factual advice.Yeah,go back and have a read. Ill give you guys some advice,if you care about forum member numbers.1. Dont underestimate people 2.Dont assume you know it all,someone may know more than you. 3.Read peoples posts and replys carefully. As far as my problem is concerned, Ill put the car on the hoist and sort it out myself. All the best to you all,but that's it for me, cheers and good luck with your motoring.

• Lifetime Members

You do that mate, you already know what the problem is, we do not know what we are talking about :spoton:

I think it must be an organic interface error, somewhere between the seat and the steering wheel :msm:

It must just be that your car is the only one in the world with this problem. Keep complaining to Ford, that will make all the difference.

We are all wrong and you are right.....do not let your ass hit the door on the way out :blush:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 6d

well - I've just read through these posts and my head is spinning. What the f**k was all that about??

Issues regarding DSC aside, I reckon this is a perfect example of why paragraphs are important when writing. I've read nik's posts twice now and still don't know what he is trying to say.

Might go have a little lie down now...