Getting The Zf To Blip

Guest XR09

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 2m 20d

Pretty lame the FPV's didn't offer the rev matching on the ZF. They claim their cars are world class, well start putting in the features of those cars, and how about paddles on the steering wheel.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 15y 1m 28d

Blip on downshifts. Why dont they drive themselves as well !! Getting sick of these new cars full of technology driving themselves the less automation the better I reckon (within reason of course). Just practice and do it yourself. I have a manual and I get great satisfaction when I get it spot on (very smooth) but you feel like a twit when you get it wrong. Well if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

I know it doesn't rev match automagically, but have you tried blipping the throttle yourself, just as you are about to change down?

Timing is everything...

ws

Thnx mate

You are a genius,

I was a bit dubious when I first read it .. thinking it would just surge and I would have to cover the brake with my left. but you have a reasonable window of opertunity and time will perfect it.

I guess I better get use to having a decent auto. It really is so easy to time.

I need to fit a decent exhaust, Cant hear it over the aircon so I have to drop my eyes to the tacho. lol

I would not have thought to even try with an auto.

Thnx again

Brett

Edited by XR09

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 2d

The soundtrack of a jag is significantly sweeter than that of a falcon. Sorry boys, just the way it is. I for one would love to hear the blip in a jag, you dont pay 100 grand plus and not want to enjoy the sweet music.

As Lairdy has pointed out, with the ford you'll have to turn the air con off so you can even hear it. Possibly a reason why its not on a falcon.

or you could buy a manual and do it all yourself! much more fun :)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 9m 28d

I just finished reading the new motor artical on the FG XR6 v VE2 and the subbie

Although they dont actually say it in it, they imply the ford auto to be inferior to the new commo one. They say it's a pitty the Zf doesn't blip on the down changes.

Does the new commo do that?

And why does the ZF do it on other makes that fit it. Is it in the ECU or does the auto have its own little brain?

Has anyone modded thier to blip on down changes.

I have gotten a little over enthusiastic changing down and had a little compression lock up a few times. My knob is very sensitive I think

Browsed bits and pieces of that article as I got dragged around the supermarket this afternoon... The xr6 was definately a 6 speed in that comparison?? Didn't take that much notice. Standard fitment for the n/a xr6 is the 5 speed auto. Assumed it was as 5 speed auto I read it. We'll just have to wait to 4.0 meets direct injection. SV6 0-100 6.4 XR6 0-100 6.8 am I right??

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m 27d

Theoretically it wouldn't be to hard to set it up to blip automatically, all you have to do is alter the output signal from the accelerator as you change gears. Depending on how the shifter functions, it could be as simple as using a resistor, a diode and some wire to get it to blip. Then if you wanted to go one step further you could even make it close the throttle briefly upon up shifting to make the BOV go off like a manual.

Edited by ScatterBrain

• 3 months later...
Guest XR09
  • Guests

I have found I can get the ZF to blipfor nothing , and as I do it myself, it's kinda more rewarding getting it timed and rev'ed just right.

For about one second after you push the knob forward the auto is in a neutral state. You have to wait about half a second after you bang the shift forward, then blip the required throttle.

It works a treat and is easy to time. And can save you from a compression lock if you get a little enthusiastic.

• Member For: 17y 23d

It's not just the HSV's that blip on downshifts the SS Utes do it too, not sure about sedans.

I bought a VE Bogan special Ute auto when they first came out and with a full twin 3 inch x force system the blips sounded great, the faster you're going when you decide to drop a gear the bigger the blip (obviously), back to second at around 80-90km/h sounded great.

Pity everything else about it was sh*t and I sold it after 14,000k's