Twelve Months Of Coil Pack Research

straughsberry

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 2d

Fair enough. But there's a point where spark energy makes a difference. Boost, fuel, heat and/or other factors would play a role as well. For example, my failing coil packs still ignite the fuel and at lower throttle positions, seat of the pants tells me they are working as well as the non-failing coil packs. However at heavier throttle and higher RPM, there is a definite difference in power and the exhaust note changes too. Both coil packs are igniting the fuel but one is obviously doing a better job than the other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 14y 10m 6d

I installed a set of the Weapon X Coils in my car today as the stock ones where starting to break down very slightly

under full load in 3rd gear (hadnt in 1st or 2nd) and seeing im planning on upping the boost shortly

I wanted to sort this sooner rather than later. It was not even breaking down bad or all the time just sometimes.

Anyway once they where in and sorted they made a big difference to the seat of the pants feel.

That Crispness that is mentioned is the best way to describe it and it pulls harder than before even when it wasnt breaking down.

Not the cheapest option but im more than happy with them.

Also on another positive note the coils clip onto the top of the spark plugs rather than needing to be held in by the coil cover so you can

leave the cover off and eliminate a lot of the heat that kills the coils in the first place.

They get my thumbs up :spit:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 9d

Ahh nice, you were suckered in too..

You should have bought "original" Honda/denso coils instead at 1/3rd of the price, rather than the rebadged weapon-x version.

for best results, the ford PCM needs its dwell settings adjusted to suit the coils. Straight bolt in wont take advantage of it, although their performance has been known to be worse than some ford coils..

• ANGEL EYES
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 29d

You should have bought "original" Honda/denso coils instead at 1/3rd of the price

Where is best and cheapest place to get them?

beerchug.gif

• Donating Members

Don't waste your time.

Americans have tried everything, but due to the closed loop dwell control of the PCM, Unless you know how to modify the values (not available via any editing software), your wasting your time.

Although Strawberry has done more "reliablity" type testing, I have heard of standard coils failing, but not to the extreme that's suggested. As for Borg coils, yeh, I have seen them fail VERY quickly.

Personally Stick with genuine ford ones.

Here's some Entertaining reading of the WeaponX guy (Marc)

WeaponX Fuel PID Analysis/Recommendation - ModularFords.com

The thread does originally start talking about PID control of Fuel pumps (they run different fuel setups than we do). He brings his technical theories to the table, bag out people's REAL WORD theories, and gets slammed. (Whats the world without forums)

The fun starts from like Page 3, and then again at on Page 5.

Take note of the comments from "Jerry@Injecttek / JerryW". He is after all one of the original key guys that started SCT.

Here's a Quote from Jerry.

Ford vehicles are closed loop on ignition energy, based on a given coil. The dwell time changes based on battery voltage and what type of coil is used. The PCM measures the voltage available at the coil and adjusts dwell time accordingly. In any spark ignition engine, once the flame front is started there is nothing else that can be done, from an ignition system standpoint, to impact how fast the flame front travels. This is not really a topic to be debated, its common knowledge of a spark ignition, internal combustion engine. If the ignition system has enough energy to start the flame front, more energy does absolutely nothing. If you’d like I can supply a plethora of SAE papers that substantiate this fact. Once again, let me say that if you have enough ignition energy to begin the flame front more energy does NOTHING"
Edited by Headsex

• Donating Members

Provided your coil packs have the energy to light them, yes.

But in saying that. A "Bigger" coil driven with a closed loop dwell control limited to 6.5amps is not going to do that..

There's a better way of improving spark on these cars.

Edited by Headsex

• Donating Members

I've got a number of contacts in the States, And Publically, everyone can see for themselves on the modularfords.com forums. That link I posted eariler is just one example.

I've seen enough of your "Technical Level" posts not to care.