Shaker on a BA XR8!

Falchoon

Love it ,Ive done the shaker job on my XY hmmm ,makes me wonder? The poor old T needs needs some sort of bonnet venting. Plonky what are the leagalities with doing such a thing? If it was fixed to the bonnet would that be ok?

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 21y 10d

A long time ago in a Forum far far away.............

I posted a number of requirements for the addition of the 'shaker' to the XR8.

Firstly for it to be a 'shaker' it must be attached to the engine so it can 'shake rattle and roll with the' engine.

It can be done, as seen on the 2003 Mustang Mach 1 released in the US. The plumbing snakes around a bit under the bonnet but essentially it is like moving the standard airbox from the front of the engine bay and placing it on the top of the engine.

It would then be submitted for Federal compliance. It would make it easier if it was to be done and have the Shaker as a secondary air inlet (thus having a primary inlet where the original airbox is and a secondary inlet via the Shaker)

Of course if you weren't determined for the Shaker to Shake, the it is quite an easy installation to the bonnet as long as it reaches certain requirements (like height, access for a pedestrians hand etc)

It would be a bonus for power increase; unrestricted access to fresh clean air that is both rammed off the bonnet and slow moving from the atmosphere.

For those who are interested in trivia, the term "Shaker" was first applied to the the Plymouth 'Cuda, Dodge Challenger, Plymouth Road Runner and Dodge Super Bee in 1970. There is a decal that goes underneath the bonnet with the words "Shaker" written on it.

I do think it's a nice piece of tradition for a GTHO but remember not every fast GT had the Shaker. The XA had the NACA scoops, the XW had the bonnet scoop to force cool air onto the brake master cylinder, the XB/XC had some very tasty Mustang scoops into the bonnet and the Cobra had a cowl induction scoop.

There are a number of good and functional items to pick from - I'm very partial to the Mustang scoops that were on the XB/XC !

Thanks plonky.I dont rember what type of car it was,but the shaker would close and open with motor on and off (street machine) quite snazzy I thought.

Guest HocuSChrisT
  • Guests

GHOO!!!! that is disgusting!!. ahem...

that's an insult to the great XY. It looks as out of place as a Expensive Daewoo not being towed. But oh well