After Some Good Pictures Of 100Mm Thick Mounted Coolers

smXR6

• Member For: 15y 8m 19d

hey guys

just another quick thread ,

after some pics of coolers that are 100mm thick on the car and any pics of the mods u had to do to make them fit ?

how much needs to be cut and where abouts ?

any help would be great

cheers

• Member For: 15y 5m 2d

I have the plazmaman 1200hp cooler on a typhoon, which I THINK is 90mm (not at home to measure ATM) and I had to cut a bit out of the bar that goes accross the front of the car underneath the bumper (donno what its called) and a bit outta the plastic fan shroud. I had to cut a little more out of the bar as depicted in this pic though (I think the guide is for the 1000hp cooler)

these pics are from plazmaman

post-32565-125491858055_thumb.jpg

post-32565-125491861869_thumb.jpg

• Member For: 15y 5m 2d

unless you pull off the front bar (for the crash bar I think it is called) and or look fairly hard, no.

(I have no backing on this other than my thoughts) I'm guessing that cutting the crash bar would be illegal as it forms an important part of the impact zone in the front, and you are cutting a seam which provides strength, although realistically I don't think it would make that much of a critical difference. the airbag sensor connects to a different bracket so that is unaffected.

free tip for bending the aircon pipe - use a heat gun or high power hairdryer on low speed, and get the tube fairly warm - makes bending and not kinking it much easier

• Force Fed Fords
  • Member For: 15y 6m 9d

Would any of those cuts that you made be visible when returned to stock?

I believe it is considered ELEgaL when trimming/shaving the bar, But its the only way to fit these massive IC's. To correct the above post, even when everything is on the car, by getting a torch and looking down through to the shaved area, its possible to see it, so for your answer, yes it is visible...

• Member For: 15y 5d

I have just installed a hyperflow intercooler which is 100mm thick (core size 470 x 270 x 100) and it was mean to been a direct replacement for the standard one. I had to blend the A/C pipe out the way which wasn't to hard. I cut a bit of the bar that goes across the front of the car like Aaron_85 with a grinder. There is a good 5mm gap around my intercooler and the original mounting holes for the standard intercooler are still there. There is no way you can tell any work has been done when I return the car to stock. Just be careful with 100mm thick intercooler because my just fit behind the top grill. If it was any wider(core size 470 x 270 x 100) I would have had to cut the top grill or remove it all together.