Speaker Crackling?

dan(nthqld)

• Member For: 15y 1m 14d

hey guys,

got 2 pairs of soundstream picasso 5x7's in my car, had them for about two months now. Havent had it overly loud but when I turned the car on this morning I noticed a crackling coming from the left rear. I dont think the speakers have carked it as they are near new, and I have checked all connections and everything seems fine there. Is there anything else I should be looking at before I resort to contacting the speaker manufacturer?

Cheers, Daniel

• Member For: 19y 7m 27d

hey guys,

got 2 pairs of soundstream picasso 5x7's in my car, had them for about two months now. Havent had it overly loud but when I turned the car on this morning I noticed a crackling coming from the left rear. I dont think the speakers have carked it as they are near new, and I have checked all connections and everything seems fine there. Is there anything else I should be looking at before I resort to contacting the speaker manufacturer?

Cheers, Daniel

To check you have not cooked the voice coil carefully push the cone in and out. If you hear a grinding noise then the voice coil is stuffed and you will have trouble getting them replaced. Let me know what you hear.

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 12d

As My XR6 has said... try to check if the voice coil is ok...

It may be that you have burnt out the voice coil... u dont need to turn them up loud to do this... simply underpowering then and turning your bass all the way up can cause systems to crap out...

How have the drivers been mounted? straight into the factory locations, or are u using a spacer or adapter?

I have seen some spacers people have whipped together at home, which have actually caused the driver frame to twist and in turn kill the drivers - hence why I ask this also...

Might just also be a simple issue like a loose wire - check all your speak wires and make sure they are not earthing out or touching any part of the car frame (bare metal/speaker wire)... This will cause the crackling noise also.

If your running an amp - this may have died also... so also worth checking this out..

Very hard to pin point with very little info - and not having the car present... so hope this helps...

:buttrock:

Amp seems fine with all other speakers. Have faded the sound out to each speaker and its only the left rear. They are mounted straight into the hole. They are a perfect fit as I chose these ones with a mounting depth that would not need the spacers. Amp should have sufficient power for the speakers. If I recall correctly I think the amp puts out a constant 120wrms and the speakers max is 110wrms. I will check the voice coil out in the morning and the only wires I have not checked are the rca leads into the back of the dvd player.

Thanks for the help!

• Member For: 17y 6m 20d

try swapping the left and right rears over and see it the sound moves with it. If the cracke goes to the right side then the speaker is at fault but if the crackle stays on the passenger side then its a problem elsewhere

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members

Mate, just cos the other speakers fade and dont crack up doesnt mean the amp isnt gone...

As sicklaser has recommended switch one of the amp speak channels around and see if it does the same...

If say u swap the right read with the left rear and the problem moves with the speaker - then there is a good chance its the AMP... if it stays then its prob the speaker driver....

see how you go and let us know...

:stupid:

Just swapped speakers over on amp. Pressed in on the cone and all seems to be fine, no grinding noise. Pulled the speaker out of the parcel shelf and faded in and out fo the two rear speakers. Sounds like there is no bass coming from the bad speaker so I am assuming its the woofer that's gone inside it. When you play a bassy song it crackles then makes a small beep, stops playing, then comes back on. Got a feeling the speaker has sh*t itself. Looks like shipping overseas for a warranty claim =\

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members

DRIVER GONEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :roflmbo::stupid::roflmbo:

Mate dont know that warranty will cover burnt out voice coil...

Most DONT...

What brand is it and what did the speakers cost u to buy?

How much is it going to cost to send them back over?

You could consider getting the VC rebuilt/wound here locally - should come up within 5% of the original spec... or buy a new set of speakers...

Soundstream Picasso speakers.

Price was around $130 for the pair.

Had a look at the warranty card and it says $15 US for postage but I am going to give the number in melbourne I think it is..(03 9338 number) and see what they can do for me. Havent even had them for 2 months =\

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members

Mate - burnt out VC is 99% of the time from system miss match, or being over driven either to much volume, or someone running the tone settings to crazy levels and under powering the driver...

Warranty - sorry mate - unlikely.. .but worth a try...

If they were bought OS, the Aussie guys are unlikely to warranty them as local stock either...

But again see how u go..

All the best, and sorry for the bad news... :stupid: