3 Quick Questions

EXR6T

• Member For: 16y 6m 12d

Hey guys,

Can I start by saying thanks for all the help in answering a lot of questions I have had over the past 2 years, you guys are great. It's always good for people who don't know much to have a place to turn when in doubt.

Just had a few quickies I thought I might ask.

1. Is there any down side to removing the heat shielding around the exhaust, mine rattles like a car from the 1980's no matter how many clamps I put on it.

2. My PBR twin plate clutch is starting to slip in 3rd and 4th and I was wondering if you can replace just the friction plates or do I need a full new clutch?

3. How do you vent the stock BOV (need a detailed answer here as I dont understand the BOV) and what are the ups and downs of venting it?

Thanks in advance guys!

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 9m 10d

Hey guys,

1. Is there any down side to removing the heat shielding around the exhaust, mine rattles like a car from the 1980's no matter how many clamps I put on it.

1. Downside is more radiated heat.

2. My PBR twin plate clutch is starting to slip in 3rd and 4th and I was wondering if you can replace just the friction plates or do I need a full new clutch?

2. You should be able to. It would be advisable to have the flywheel machined flat again and the pressure plate tested for clamping force though.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m 19d

I removed the heatshields in the first week of ownership on the BA. The only downside would be potential fire risk if parking anywhere near dry grass I suspect.

Price will probably be the dictator on the clutch issue. It would be unwise to chuck new friction material in there without machining the clamping faces....by the time you add machining and labour etc I doubt there would be all that much advantage to trying to save.

Bare in mind also that the abilities of a clutch are dictated by the combination of clamping pressure and friction material....something to think about