Wheels Xr6t Vs Ss Article

Guest DZ.

Guest DZ.
  • Guests

Thought I'd quote some excepts for you all here as I'm sure you're keen to find out how it went.

XR6T SS

0-60 2.9s 3.4s

0-80 4.4s 4.9s

0-100 6s 6.2s

0-400 14.3s 14.5s

Insurance $1051 $2457

"Acceleration is truly punishing. From 80 to 120km/h the Turbo is half a second quicker than Holden's VY Late model camira SS in third, a second ahead in identically geared fourth, and almost two seconds quicker in fifth."

"the XR6 Turbo is that much better again. It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude. And it's a brilliant example of the glowing future of local performance cars. Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king."

XR6T rating - 4 and a half stars

SS rating - 3 and a half stars.

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 9d

no surprises there I guess. Just validates what we here *knew* all along the XR6T kicks ass! :D :D

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 9d

It does seem cheap! I think the quote I got was closer to $1400 and I'm over 30 with good rating :P

• The Noble Leader
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 6m 8d

Who is worried about crashing? Im more worried about people drooling over it and it getting stolen! :(

Guest DZ.
  • Guests

That's why the price of the WRX insurance premiums are so high aren't they? I'm just glad I live up on the Gold Coast - the 200SX is only $620 to insure so I don't imagine the XR6T is going to be much more :D

• The Noble Leader
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 6m 8d
That's why the price of the WRX insurance premiums are so high aren't they?  I'm just glad I live up on the Gold Coast - the 200SX is only $620 to insure so I don't imagine the XR6T is going to be much more  :D

Its really annoying how it varies state by state.

When i was getting quotes for the XR6T i phoned around several places. A few months back i was thinking about a WRX and being 25 they wanted $5,500 for insurance a year.

Few calls around for the XR6T, AAMI wouldnt insure me. NRMA told me $2700, Ford Insure told me $2300 (which i finally went with) plus got a discount on the Ford insure with City Ford's bonus program 10% off.

I thought I would try some sports car brokers as well. Just Cars I telephoned. The guy on the other end asked me age, how many years driving blah blah.

Put me on hold and came back and told me $4500. I said to him you have to be kidding NRMA quoted me half of that. He said thats our price. :unsure:

Basically I asked NRMA why the premium was so expensive in NSW then any other state, I remember reading somewhere that someone had been quoted $1400 or so in Melbourne and another guy had been quoted $650 in remote NSW. Basically NRMA said due to Sydney having more people, more cars on the road, higher theft etc, this is why the premium is the way it is. I guess thats why we see alot of hire cars registered in Victoria and insured there as well.

Guest DZ.
  • Guests

The entire cost of living is more expensive down south - one of the reasons I never moved to Sydney, but theoretically the pay is better isn't it? Personally, I'm happy being able to get home within 5 minutes after leaving work. Lower insurance and other costs help too.