Gps Phones Banned In Vic

SubJimbo

• NOT THERE!... THERE!
  • Member For: 15y 11m 5d

This law falls under a special group of laws that I deem to be unsatisfactory and thus, continue to break on a regular basis.

Of course I'm too apathetic to actually do anything meaningful about changing them, so I just swear to myself a bit as I pay the fines like a pussy.

Yeah, fightin' the good fight I am.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 17y 6m 24d

I'd say it's less to do with revenue raising, and more to do with a useless polly, trying to proove he's doing something for the community. Agree with the law or not, this one is illconceived, and inconsistent. The rule already exists that deosn't allow people to fiddle with their phones, etc while driving, why do we need another, and why is this special law only applicable to Phones with built in GPS units, while GPS units aren't affected (especially whne some GPS units can control your phone)?

The idea for this rule is to stop drivers using the GPS excuse when being stung for using the phone while driving. What's next, they'll have to come up with another rule because people will say they weren't using their pohne, they were listening to music throught the phone and was changing the track. They'll then have to ban the use of phones with MP3 players in them, but iPods will be OK.

This sort of political one-upmanship does little more than confuse drivers. Pretty soon we'll all be too scared to touch the gearstick for fear of a fine.

As stated earlier on, if drivers were better educated in the art of driving, road death and injuries would drop dramatically.

Whats next? Installing the car's horn into the ring of the steering wheel so you can activate it with your thumbs so as not to take one hand off the steering wheel?

They used to have those on the XYs, and the old Chrystlers used to have those big chrome rings for the horn.

But Tab's right, horns will be rules offensive and too noisey, so ww'll have to whisper to cars and ask them to not pull out in front :beerchug:

• Big Gun
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 17d

If someone smashed into a reletive or friend of yours and killed them, and you found out the driver at fault was p1ss farting around trying to use a microscopic phone screen for navigation, im sure many of you wouldn't be terribly pleased. The fone nav is a good solution if you're stuck, but it's hardly something we can call safe.

In saying that, this has clearly come to the attention of the authorities because as usual, a select few 'chimps' as buf-hoon would say, have ruined it for everyone by pranging their cars due to entering addresses in while in motion.

• Member For: 15y 2m 26d

This law on GPS phones must stand, purely for the fact that all those young females I see typing txt

messages while driving will use the excuse "No, I was using my GPS" when seen by Police. Dam it, if

you don't know where your going, pull over a read a frickin map. :bowdown:

If someone smashed into a reletive or friend of yours and killed them, and you found out the driver at fault was p1ss farting around trying to use a microscopic phone screen for navigation, im sure many of you wouldn't be terribly pleased. The fone nav is a good solution if you're stuck, but it's hardly something we can call safe.

In saying that, this has clearly come to the attention of the authorities because as usual, a select few 'chimps' as buf-hoon would say, have ruined it for everyone by pranging their cars due to entering addresses in while in motion.

It depends on the phone, iPhone and some others are no smaller than some of the GPS units on the market.

I don't dissagree with the principal, just the execution of the law. Why phones and not all GPS units, why not aftermarket car stereo systems that have fiddly controls, etc.

Most phones with propper GPS units in them operate hands free once programmed (as with any other GPS unit) and needn't be touched enroute. Programming of all units should be done off the road. All of these little additional laws, subsections etc are just idiotic when we can have one law than covers 15. These subsection confusing laws also lead to interpretational issues by the Police, and in the courts. No matter what the law states, there will always be excuse makers, the courts just have to stop being pussies and not accepting lame excuses as tecnicalities. (I just heard a beauty on the radio, a woman blamed her high heels for dound 116 in a 50 zone, are we now going to ban high heels in cars?)

• I love gooold member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 25d

The problem in having one law that covers 15.. is that it usually DOESN'T cover them adequately. If you try and do that invariably it ends up being too vague and thus open to abuse.

Mobiles didn't have GPS when they were first outlawed I suspect, so this new law is really the 'evolution' of an existing law.

If you look at the history of laws, I think you'll find most of the exist because someone abused something in the past. Clear example here, some d1ckhead decides to use an excuse so the lawmakers have to further legislate.

MAYBE we should think of what WE have done wrong to require such stupid laws to exist.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d

You're right, laws have to cater for the lowest denominator....and there are some pretty frikkin low misfits getting around these days.

• ANGEL EYES
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 6d

As stated earlier on, if drivers were better educated in the art of driving, road death and injuries would drop dramatically.

This is the biggest issue. This is where the revenue should be spent and still no proper driver training is given for emergency situations.

My 2c worth

:sleepystuff:

• Member For: 14y 6m 21d

Just think..

more revenue spent on driver education = hoons aren't the main concern, and lack of driver education is now the main cause of deaths. Public opinion changes (people now think that with more driver education, fatalities will be reduced..which they will), hence less revenue is raised for big full blown operations like hooning and defecting modified cars.

This world revolves around money. It's f*cking sickening