Rear Led Rego Plate Lamps

sark021

• Member For: 17y 7m 20d

Decided recently to continue replacing as many of the filament globes with LEDs around the car and this time got as far as the number plate lights. Bought 5 point white LEDs for this but found that the overall circumference of the globe wouldn't go into the hole of the housing which holds the T10 wedge socket in place. What to do? Could buy 10mm dia. LEDs but these are usually single point and might not have enough illumination. Anyway, after a while I thought that if I could create an access hole in the lamp housing, I could then leave the socket in place and pull out and push in globes at will. Anyways, this approached worked. Sorry if this has been dealt with before somewhere, or whether is doesn't take a genius to work this modification out, however I thought I might post some pictures in case anyone has a similar issue with getting over-sized LEDs into the number plate light housing.

post-9565-125333977866_thumb.jpg post-9565-125333964381_thumb.jpg post-9565-125333968235_thumb.jpg

Used a hack saw to make the slots right down to the diffuser. Gently ripped them out with long nose pliers. Left about 10-12mm of housing in place at the socket end.

• ANGEL EYES
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 2d

I was planning of inserting seperate led from other end so that I could still have normal globe aswell as other enhancement. Haven't got around to it yet though! Any pics at night before and after install?

:beerchug:

• Member For: 17y 7m 20d

I was planning of inserting seperate led from other end so that I could still have normal globe aswell as other enhancement. Haven't got around to it yet though! Any pics at night before and after install?

:beerchug:

Didn't think to get before and after shots now that you mention it, but before it was like the classic warm yellowy filament glow and now it is a cool white/blue colour which kinda looks ummm, you know....cool. I have to say that it is more obvious because I have white number plates with black lettering. Don't know how effective they are with other colour plates.