Engine Bay Cleaning

GR8XR6

• Member For: 17y 6m 26d

Degreaser causes the plastic to dry out and turn milky white. WD40 makes them shine again, been using it on my engine bays for about 10yrs now, no ill affects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 4m 16d

I think it's generally a good policy to avoid any chemicals on rubber or plastic. Not saying that they all cause damage, but by the time you find out they have it's already too late.

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 23d

HAve tried WD40 after a full degrease at the local car wash. Results look amazing, but there are reports that its too strong for rubber hoses etc, and will weaken them over time. Apparently "303" something is the best stuff to use. Its on waxit.com.au somehwere.

• 1 year later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 11d

I just use spray detailer. On older cars if it really needs it, give it a hit with degreaser, house down, chamois, then detail. Another good one is mr sheen furniture polish (only the original though). Works wonders

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

• Member For: 14y 9m 29d

Yeh I second the quick detailer.

If you do it regularly all you have to do is a quick spray and wipe and its all nice and clean lookin great.

If you want to really get it lookin smik after that you can use some tyre shine on the hoses etc and it looks unreal.

• 11 months later...
  • Member For: 14y 2m 8d

anywhere ekse to avoid other than coil packs and fuse box when hosing down engine bay? im very reluctant and a bit scared to run a flowing hose over my engine.

how long do you hose for? are we talking 20 seconds or minutes and full blast? or just a light spray?

• Member For: 13y 3m 1d

If it's really bad - kero with a brush is about the best. Nasty and dirty work but works a treat on really dirty engines. Leave it on for about 15-20 mins and hose it off with a pressure hose or wipe it with rags. Careful of the electrics! If it's not that bad any of the suggestions before will probably work OK. Cheers

Fairly sure kero will damage/expand and soften any natural rubber components if there are any.