Trans Cooler Install

Maximus

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Member For: 2y 8m 9d

know this is an old thread but worth a crack!

can anyone provide pictures or instructions for how the 'rear mount' coolers fit on a BA (or possibly BF..)?

I'm running a massive radiator and intercooler, there is functionally zero clearance between them. I've also made a slight mistake and gone slightly too large on the new cooler size, so im not super confident about fitting it behind the foglights.

From what I can see, the old PWR kits (I say old, I certainly cant find them anymore) used to mount somewhere under the car, but I'm not having much luck finding any good documentation about exactly where that went.

for what its worth im using this for oil cooling, not trans, I just noticed that gearbox cooling is much more often discussed and they're broadly the same job.

cheers.

Edited by trist4nn

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 16d

Be very aware that the factory oil pump can not provide enough oil pressure to keep up with an external style oil cooler so don’t think your helping the situation with cooling oil as your going to be cooling low pressure oil that quickly leads to engine failure 

FPV got it right with the oil filter sandwich style factory engine oil heat exchangers !!

I'd not really considered that, I reasoned that if the factory style water to oil cooler worked then why wouldnt an air to oil cooler.

can you tell me any more about the differences? is air to oil cooling simply not possible without oil pump work?

looking at the f6 assembly it seems there is a lot less distance to pump it, if I understand correctly the heat exchanger comes right off the block where the oil filter goes, is that the key difference?

Edited by trist4nn

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 18d

The oil filter for a 2021 Mustang GT 5.0 shares the same thread and seal diameter as the FPV/Territory with the sandwich plate. It is possible that a Mustang oil cooler would fit a Barra, providing nothing on the block got in the way of the sandwich plate and the height of the cooler was similar to the Barra cooler. You'd obviously have to sort out the water lines but that's fairly straight forward.

It's possible that other filter/cooler assemblies would fit a Barra but that research is for someone else lol.

• Like 1

ive just been sleuthing around that and the factory fpv style cooler (which you arent allowed to buy without an f6 vin now! limited release)

I might be mistaken, but it seems like an older BA engine lacks the mounts for either of the above. I have the old style with larger oil filter, certainly cant see any way these type of sandwich heat exchangers would mount.