Brake Caliper Rattle

Biggles

• Member For: 14y 9m 22d

Purchased my 2004 XR6T 3mths ago & driven less than 2,000 kms since then. It has only 51,000 k's on it now. RH front caliper has a definite rattle to it when driving over bumps & mechanic blames it on the 19" rims & 35 profile tyres. LH caliper is fine. This rim/tyre combo was brand spankers @ time of purchase. I know this combination will be rougher but would that be the cause of what appears to be slide problems or is it just BS from the mechanic. Has any1 else encountered similar issues?

• Member For: 19y 6m 2d

are they after market brakes or have the pads been replaced later as it could be the bracket between the brakes and the caliper ( forget the name someone will know ) if this has been left off that will cause the brake to rattle

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 9m 28d

are they after market brakes or have the pads been replaced later as it could be the bracket between the brakes and the caliper ( forget the name someone will know ) if this has been left off that will cause the brake to rattle

I thought I had that rattle sorted out..............wrong.

UNTILL 2 weeks ago.............the rattle was associated with the rear handbrake adjuster.

No more rattle so far.

Hope this avenue assists you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 16y 7m 6d

I have terrible brake pad rattle since I've bought the car. Over bumpy roads, or roads made out of pavers, the pad rattles against the caliper and rotor. Shaking the front pads there's probably 2-3mm movement :fool:

• 9 years later...
  • Member For: 5y 2m 28d

I own a FG XR6, I love this car, but the rattle from the front brake calipers has been driving me fkn mad for ever, just as you said, lower speeds and small corrugations in the road, if I slightly apply the brakes the rattle disappears.

Finally I fixed it!!! No help from Ford, Just had to share this.. I joined this group just to share it..

The rattle is caused by the slide pin moving left right in its location. The rubber dust boot is supposed to provide enough outward spring force to stop this happening. It does when the pads are new but as the pads wear, the slide pins sit  further out of their location to the point where the rubber boot no longer applies any outward spring force on the slide pin head, hence there is caliper movement causing the rattle.

Solution:

Go to Bunnings and buy 2 packs of Century Spring Company C-566 compression springs. The dimensions are: 9.535 OD x 19.05L x 0.813mm gauge, or 3/8 x 3/4 x 0.032” they cost $2.76 for a packet of 2. Remove 12mm bolts holding calipers to slide pins, unlip the dust boot and withdraw each slide pin, insert one of these springs in each slide pin location,  push back in the slide pins refitting the rubber boot. Instantly there is a small outward force, enough to elongate the rubber boot. Compress slide pin back home into its location against the new spring tension, finger pressure is all that’s needed, re fit caliper retaining bolts, done.. There is enough depth in the slide pin location to accomodate the spring as well as the slide pin pushed all the way home so as to accomodate new pads when they are fitted.

I cannot believe how quiet my front end is now, hope this helps everyone.

Cheers Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 3m 18d

I've owned 5 BA's now, and I gave up trying to silence the "rattle" over bumps.

The park brake cable through the IRS causes some noise, easily fixed with a dob of silicone on the clips on the two cable at the rear through the cradle, removing the tin plate between the pad and the caliper and smearing silicone on the back of the pad and letting it dry before driving helps a little....

But nothing really stops that familiar BA rattle over bumps?

I'd be interested if somebody has found a solution too