A Few Problems

EXR6T

• Member For: 16y 7m 6d

Hey guys,

I had a few issues with the car over the past few months, so I thought I might post what the symptoms were and what the fixes were in case anyone else is having the same issues. Hopefully it can solve someones worries they have with their car, or at least give them an idea on what it might be.

Under Car Rattle Over Bumps - 2 Things I had problems with here, the classic Ford handbrake needed adjusting, and the diff bush was badly flogged out and needed replacing. I believe senna_t has some great deals on replacing rear end bushes.

Exhaust had a raspy note at about 1800 and 3000 rpm when under load - Rear muffler had collapsed and needed replacing, car also sounded a little bit tinnie just normally until I replaced the rear muffler, it now sounds much better.

"tinking / clanking" noise whether car was on or not (based on movement in the suspension like if someone sat down in the car) - This was the sway bar linkage which had either broken or come loose.

Driveline was more clunky than usual even on the T5 - 2 things we found were diff bush and diff oil (dont know if the oil made a difference) but I had both done anyway and the car feels much better.

Loud ticking noise from engine while the car was cold and under slight load or WOT - This is expected to be an exhaust leak but we are still trying to work it out for sure, could be something more sinister. It only happens in the mornings when the car is at its coldest, and only for the first few minutes of driving. (any other ideas on this would be awesome)

Hope this helps.

• Member For: 17y 5m 16d

sounds like it could be an exhaust leak.. mine had a really bad ticking sound you would swear it was coming from inside the engine, ended up just being a loose manifold.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10d

both my xr6ts have had a small ticking noise kinda sounds like it was comming from the other side though... plenum... never really worried me knowing that they both did it...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 16d

I had a ticking sound from which I thought was from the turbo but was from a loose flange blot after the dump, maybe wise to have your exhaust flanges checked. Noticed a large improvement with acceleration, response and boost feel.

• Member For: 16y 7m 6d

Was those noises only while it was cold guys?

had the manifold bolts tightened, didnt help.

when the car has warmed up it does not make the ticking noise under WOT.

when its cold if you give it a bit more throttle it gets heaps louder as the revs go up and becomes almost a screeching noise...

havent checked the rest of the exhaust though.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 16d

Mine was a lot more noticable in the cold and the boost felt a little jerky until it was full pelt. Once it was properly warm it felt better and the ticking noise went away.