My Fpv Floor Mats Are Dangerous!

eicarsto

• Member For: 14y 9m 23d

I have sent an email to FPV with a link to Newsroom : Toyota/Lexus Consumer Safety Advisory Potential Floor Mat Interference with Accelerator Pedal / Toyota relating to Toyotas problems and have asked if they have a solution to the FPV floor mats.

I will give them a couple of days to reply, but if they dont I will call the number on the webite.

If I can pevent the same from happening to someone who has not read this forum and is not aware of the danger with the floor mats, I will be a happy man.

Will keep you fellas in the loop...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 4m 19d

My XR floor matt did this once, but it was after I vacuumed the matts and forgot to clip it back on. A very scary experience.. lucky the road was straight with no cars in front of me, as it took me by surprise and took several seconds to figure out how to fix it (while going 100+kph!!).

Since then I've always ensured that the drivers matt is locked into position with those two black plastic clips.

My XR floor matt did this once, but it was after I vacuumed the matts and forgot to clip it back on. A very scary experience.. lucky the road was straight with no cars in front of me, as it took me by surprise and took several seconds to figure out how to fix it (while going 100+kph!!).

Since then I've always ensured that the drivers matt is locked into position with those two black plastic clips.

The problem is that the FG floor mats dont clip in or on to anything... they are simply attached to two useless needles that need to pierce the carpet which does an atrocious job of holding the needles and within a couple of days wiggle themselves free.

I have removed the mat from my side as it truly is a danger..and you know what? I am sick of paying truckloads of money for something that doesnt do what it should but always too concerned about what people will think of me if I complain.

No more Jose...no more suffering in silence.

Rant over...need to destroy...decreasing...:-)

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 11d

BFII RSpec - Same issue!

:roflmbo:

Dont mind that much as its in the back of my head and I have an excuse for not stopping!

:beerchug::spoton::roflmbo:

Edited by smicky

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 6m 13d

this used to happen in my utee, hence the reason I no longer drive with the floor mat in while I drive, it is rediculously dangerous and the bit of shat that is suppose to hold it in is an absolute joke :beerchug:

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d

The problem is that the FG floor mats dont clip in or on to anything...

Mine are the opposite, can never get the farkin things out without spreading any crap that's accumulated on top of them all through the friggin cabin :stirthepot:

• Member For: 14y 10m

I didn't put the mounting clips in when I first got them, till leaving a servo it jammed my accelerator at full throttle... needless to say I mounted them when I got home and since then they havent moved...

UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!!!

Well, contacted Ford Customer Care and informed them of the floor mat issues that a few FG drivers are experiancing. Firstly a lovely lady takes my details and then askes me to describe the issue. This is where it gets funny...

Me: My floor mats in my FPV come loose and on at least one occasion managed to pin the accelator to the floor. Myself and my wife could have been killed had I not worked out what the problem was...

Lady: Were the floor mats attached?

Me: Yes, but as usual they come loose which causes the issue.

Lady: Did you not stop and reattach them?

Me: After that last episode, I threw the bloody thing in the boot!

Lady: Aah I see. So the problem no longer exists?

Me: Erm, No.

Lady: Has it happened before?

Me: Yes, once before. I am also a member of an online forum, and a few members have complained about the same issue.

Lady: Which online forum?

Me: fordxr6turbo.com...several complaints about mats...

Lady: Erm...why are you reading xr6turbo forums...when you drive an FPV?

Me: Same car really...

Lady: Not at all! The FPV is different than the xr6turbo.

Me: In what way? The FG xr6turbo is the donor car for the FPV F6. Other than suspension, bigger power and more cost, it is the same car.

Lady: Sir, I cant get into a technicality discussion, but trust me they are different cars!

Me: Whatever...Log the call and assign me a case number!

Lady: Silence....your case number is blah blah....goodbye.

Me: Sheesh.

Less than a week later I get a call from the lady that is working my case, and she is a lot more switched on. She appears generally concerned about the mat issue and asks me to take it into a dealer to have a look. If the dealer agrees that it is a design fault, she can raise it and potentially advise a recall.

Not a problem, I say. Glad to help. She explains she has contacted my service dealer and has discussed it with them and they are aware I am coming in. Ask to speak to *****, he is aware of your problem.

A couple of days later I take it into my Ford dealership and ask for *****. Yep, that's me he says and walks outside to check my car.

Opens the door, asks me for the mat and the fittings are proceeds to start fitting them.

Whoa, big lad! what are you doing?

Fitting the mats he replies! Not really any other option, he tells me.

No way are you putting that thing back in there, its a potential death trap.

How? he replies. I explain about the accelator being pinned and the case of the Toyota in the USA killing the family.

He then gets all defensive!!! Toyota has nothing to do with Ford!!! Toyota have their own problems. He also claims this is the first he has heard about the problem in the FG.

I hold my temper and explain to him that when the F6 is floored, you dont get long before the car is flying and with the mat pinning the accel it is only a matter of time before someone is caught out by the power in traffic and killed.

He then says, "Why did you floor the accel?" wasnt that a stupid thing to do! ...again my temper held (my wife was with me and I promised to behave)

I mention to him that at the recent FPV raceday, almost all the FG had their mats in the boot or left them at home...simply because they come loose and are dangerous.

He looks at me with utter disdain and asks, "So what do you want me to do with the mat then?"

I want you to see why it is dangerous and then log a call with Ford Customer service!, I reply.

He just walks away without any word, and comes back with a bloke who looks too young to even be at work.

He introduces himself as the service manager, and asks for some info.

This guy is awesome, he has a real good look, pulls the mat and attachments apart, pushes and pulls, shakes his head...and finally climbs out the car and says "I agree with you, this thing is badly designed and potentially dangerous"

In an instant he has restored my temper to low and I have forgiven his sidekick for being a dick.

He then assures me he will contact Ford with a follow up, and that he has my case number. He asks me not to attempt to fit the mat, and drive without it for the time being.

So the waiting game begins...it is in the hands of Ford customer services...who claim I am the only one to complain about this so far, but assure me they will look into it with utmost urgency.

I will keep you all posted, but if like me you have had the problem please report it to Ford, as if they dont know about it, they are helpless to fix it.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • Inactive Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 1d

Yeah I had the same problem with the FG FPV mats. Those damn pin clips (the plastic needle point that clips into the carpet) are installed the wrong way, the point should face towards the pedal. Mine were facing the seat so after a while the mat and pin clips come loose. It seemed to have solved the problem.