My Fpv Floor Mats Are Dangerous!

eicarsto

• Member For: 15y 2m 18d

Well it is a safety issue.

If enough people make a general saftey complaint it can become a "recall" of sorts.

I know of one euro manufacturer who has had to do this

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Octane
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 21d
Are you talking about the xr mats with the holes (2) in them which lock in with the floor mounted lugs ? that's the ones I have anyway and im in and out all day with my size 11 regulation BHP safety boots and the mats havn't moved yet. And im no ballerina with my feet.

Where in the world are the damn lugs... I can't find any on my FG...or are my eyes painted on?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 14y 9m 25d

I initially flicked the mounts that screw into the carpet on my BF. Then went searching when they started sliding.

I say, teck screw the buggers to the floor!! that's my useless solution.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 5m 1d

mine does it also. the 2 plastic clips are sh*t and it keeps coming of. also, the end of the mat curls up and gets stuck ontop of the clutch.

so I stapled them to the floor :D

• Member For: 19y 3m 4d

Toyota has just recalled 3.8 million cars in the USA in relation to a fatal problem stemming from floor mat design.

With respect to the BA/BF series.

It is known that the 'XR' mats have a bullet proof fastening and location system. These carpets will wear out before they move, at all.

The FPV mats with their metallica button fastening system are reported to be another matter.

Your choice.

New York Times

'...While it still has plenty of cash, and now outranks General Motors as the world’s biggest carmaker, that is not good enough, Mr. Toyoda told journalists.

The company, hit by a spate of recalls in the middle of the decade, is betraying its roots as a quality automaker, he said.

Last week, Toyota announced its biggest recall ever in the United States after a crash in August in which a California highway patrol officer and three family members were killed.

The accident, which Mr. Toyoda called “extremely regrettable,” apparently occurred when the accelerator got jammed by a floor mat.

“Four precious lives have been lost. I offer my deepest condolences,” Mr. Toyoda said. “Customers bought our cars because they thought they were the safest. But now we have given them cause for grave concern. I can’t begin to express my remorse.”

And Mr. Toyoda did not stop there.

...'

CNN

Toyota: 3.8 million cars with risky floor mats

NHTSA and world's largest automaker warn vehicle owners to remove driver's side floor mats in 7 Lexus and Toyota models.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Toyota issued a safety warning for 3.8 million Lexus and Toyota cars because of potentially deadly floor mats.

In statements released Tuesday, the world's largest automaker and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration warned drivers to remove the mats or risk a forced-down accelerator pedal that could lead to a fatal crash.

The seven models being recalled could potentially have removable mats that would interfere with the pedal and cause it to stick.

"A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death," said Toyota in its statement.

Though Toyota recalled accessory all-weather floor mats in 2007 for similar problems, NHTSA noted that reports of vehicles

accelerating rapidly even after the release of the pedal have continued.

In a statement posted on the automaker's Web site earlier this month, Toyota said that preliminary information from investigators indicated that a fatal crash involving a family driving a 2009 ES350 loaned by a local Lexus dealer in San Diego could have been caused by an all-weather floor mat interfering with the accelerated pedal because of a faulty mat installation.

"There is an urgent matter," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood in the NHTSA statement. "For everyone's sake, we strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration."

Toyota has announced that it will soon launch a safety recall to redress the problem, but NHTSA and the automaker warn Toyota and Lexus drivers of certain models to remove that floor mats sooner for safety.

The Toyota models being impacted are: 2007-2010 Camry, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2004-2009 Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma and 2007-2010 Tundra. The Lexus models facing the safety recall are the 2007-2010 ES 350, and the 2006-2010 IS 250 and IS 350.

US News

Toyota Floormat Recall Could Expand

Posted: Oct. 01, 2009 10:10 a.m.

If your Toyota wasn't included in the massive floormat recall campaign announced yesterday, don't breathe easy yet. In fact, you may want to remove your driver's side floormat as a precaution, even if you haven't been instructed to. The list of affected vehicles may grow in coming weeks.

Toyota, and its luxury division, Lexus, have asked owners of some models to remove the driver's side floormat from their vehicle for fear that it might trap the accelerator pedal and cause the car to accelerate without warning. The campaign is not yet a formal recall, the Boston Globe explains, but "yesterday's notice was nothing more than a safety advisory." The company is working the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to get the word out that owners of some Toyota vehicles should remove their driver's side floor mat, but Toyota northeast PR manager Wade Hoyt told the Globe that the matter won't be a formal recall "until we've worked out a fix that NHTSA approves."

Before that happens, however, the recall may expand to include more Toyota and Lexus models.

Kicking Tires explains, "We had a 2010 Toyota Prius in our test fleet this week and noted its floormat set-up is similar to Toyotas included in the recall. The 2010 Prius is not included in the current recall, but the 2005-2009 Prius is." Concerned, KT reviewers contacted Toyota. Toyota spokesman John Hanson told them that "the 2010 model uses the same type of floormats as the older Prius, as do many other current Toyota models not included in the recall." The 2010 Prius was left out of the recall, he said, "because there have been no specific complaints filed with either Toyota or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the floormats...However, when the recall is finalized, which could be as early as next week, the 2010 Prius may be included."

If Toyota is waiting until specific complaints emerge before including a particular model in the recall, then the list of affected models could continue to grow for some time. Now that the issue has received so much publicity, owners are certain to be on the lookout for floormat-related problems with most Toyota and Lexus cars, and it seems reasonable to assume that more complaints lie ahead.

The company faced a similar issue in 2007. It responded, that time, with a recall of certain Camry and Lexus ES350 models. Autoblog noted at the time, however, that while the formal recall covered just those two cars, the NHTSA also warned "Toyota Prius, Avalon, RAV4 and Tacoma owners to check and make sure their floor mats [were] properly secured."

The company is working on a solution to the problem that goes beyond a simple floormat redesign. Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons told the New York Times that the company is exploring solutions that would allow the driver to easily overcome any problem that caused unintended acceleration. "It is conceivable we could develop software so that if the gas pedal and brake pedal were hit at the same time, the brake pedal wins," he told the Times. A software change would have the additional advantage of being inexpensive and quick for dealers to perform. Lyons added, "We have several ideas in mind."