Power Differences Between Shootout Modes

The_Bogan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 16d

What would the difference in power be if the air temp was 31c and intake 27c.

Will the warmer conditions cause ecu to take out timing,lean out.

If I was doing 375rwkw on a 31c day,would it show more on 20c day.

I was told that the dyno shows more on a warmer day.

What power difference would your shoot 6f show if you run your car on a warm day say 30c.I noticed it was run on a very cold day.

if the intake temp was showing lower than the ambient temperature then you would be showing a bee's dick less power. though this is within the limit of around 5-10 deg either way.

to get an accurate power figure the ambient temp and intake temp should be identical.

and no, the only reason your computer would take timing out on a warmer day would be due to the fact that your intake temps have risen and your car is pining, and your ecu has taken timing out when it sensed detonation occuring.

on a warmer day, your car will run pretty close to whatever it was tuned to on the first run, then drop considerably on the 2nd run due to intake temps climbing.

a dyno will not show more on a warmer day, quite the opposite, the cooler the air going into your car, the more power it is going to make. hence the reason for bigger intercoolers.

yes, these runs were done between 8:30am I believe and I think I wrapped up at around 11am from memory.

and I believe this was done in the cooler months.

if it was run on a cold day, then run on a warmer day, I would guesstimate around a 10rwkw difference, quite possibly more. but during that time between the cooler weather and warmer, turbo or manifold bolts may have come loose and thrown both runs out if you really wanted to see the difference.

and to those nay sayers commenting on my afr's, I couldnt give a rats arse.

my car doesnt/has never detonated on the road. the only time it has detonated is during tuning.

and at the time I did these runs on the dyno, my car hadnt been touched tune wise for at least a year.

not to mention the cooler weather causing the car to run a little bit more boost, and hey presto, leaning it out somewhat. but not to a degree where I was worried about stopping the dyno run halfway.

Guest Al@n
  • Guests

As a new member I find this very interesting. Karl Marx would put this down to capitalism, the more you spend the more you make, absolutely fascinating results. although my intrepretive skills may be lacking, has any one seen what I have, Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 12d

This is the very reason why C&V & 6Boost have been tuning without the temp probe and not in shoot mode for years!!!

I have tried personally to explain this to poeple for a very long time, no one listens!!!

Glad to see this test done, well done Bogan!

• Donating Members

not having a go at you spiko...

the temp probe does play a pretty big part in how the dyno dynamics dyno calculates power and what power will come up onto the screen though.

if the temp is less than the ambient temp, then it is going to show a sh*tload less power.

I have personally had this happen to me at a dyno day I was at recently in our vy ss.

the intake temp was at -28 degress celsius, end result 294rwp.

I pulled them up about it and they were kind enough to throw it back on with the intake and ambient temps even.

next power run ended up at 344rwhp I think....

though if you have the intake temp higher its going to show more.

im over power figures on a dyno, they look good for around 5 minutes....

get it out to the drag strip and see how quick it is and the mph.... that's the true indication.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 12d

It always was and always will be a tuning tool, I agree with what you are saying in part, however I have seen many a dyno figures manipulated with temperature in my time. If the overall figure itself doesn't matter then who care's if it is showing lower without the temp probe? This is the point I have been trying to make. As long as the same dyno/Mode without temp, is being used for all tune's and cars and comparative level can be achieved.

This is only my humble point of view anyways!

• Donating Members

I agree with that!!!

but some people like to see numbers!!!

im over chasing a number on a screen now!

on our dyno my car makes considerably less to the next workshops.

my best run ever on a dyno was 345rwkw. and it wasnt ours..

which, considering the mph I run at the drags, is a good indication of the power im actually producing.

the day before I made 345rwkw on another workshops dyno my car made 313rwkw on our dyno.... I couldnt care less.... it does 11.0's @ 124mph.

all that matters now is the 5 numbers at the bottom of the timeslip at the tower at willowbank!!!

Edited by The_Bogan