Bf Xr6t Brakes

winstor

• Member For: 15y 1m 22d

A few weeks back I decided I wanted to upgrade my rotors/pads. Anyway I got out and measure the discs up and the front is 322mm vented with a 2 piston caliper and the rears are 303mm solid with a single piston caliper. After reading on here about how the rears are suppose to be 328mm vented I decided to check my mates car out. Its a BF MK1 Turbo with the same fronts as mine yet the rears are vented and have a larger single piston caliper. I call the Ford dealership from where I bought the car from and asked them if this was normal or if somehow I ended up with the BA rears. He wasn't sure and told me to bring it in which I finally got around to doing today.

I ended up speaking to 2 guys from the service department who have never heard of the BFs coming with the 328mm vented rears and only thought they came with the 303mm solid. So off to the used car area where we find the only BF Turbo they had in and sure enough it had the larger 328mm rears with the larger 1 piston caliper. That suprised both of them and they said that maybe it was an upgraded option on the car. I also mentioned that the BF came with larger front rotors than the BA so off to spare parts to check that out. They ask the bloke in there if they are the same front rotors on the BA and BF and he said they were.He then got one out from the back and we measured it at 298mm. I mentioned again that mine was larger yet they said it would be the same. Out to my car again we go and we check the part number on the disc, and guess what, it wasn't the same. He admitted that it was the larger front rotor as used on the XR8.

Can someone PLEASE tell me whats what as I am confused, as they never knew the BF did come with a larger rear disc and that they were wrong about the front rotor being the same on the BA T and BF T. They also seem to think the cars either came with standard or premium brakes on the BF. Have I been screwed and ended up with downgraded rear rotors or did they in fact come with it as standard?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 16d

BF XT fronts 298mm - rears 303mm

BF XR6T and XR8 fronts 322mm - rears 328mm

BF XR6T and XR8(optional) and standard FPV where brembo 4spot 355mm - rears PBR 328mm

Either the ford guys are lieing or just plain incompetent.

Was your car bought brand new or second hand? I wonder if the rear brakes where replaced under warranty by this dealer and they put on the wrong rear brakes

• Member For: 15y 8m 8d

I've seen this before while looking into my brake upgrade. It appears that during the last year of the BF II, the rears on turbo's and V8's were downgraded to the solid 303mm, which is the same spec as FG equivalent models.

While checking pictures of BF II XR6 & 8 utes on carsales, the 328mm rear calipers can be seen mounted at 10 or 2 o'clock, whereas the 303mm calipers are mounted at 9 or 3 o'clock, just like FG models.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

Had to run and check mine...looks by eye to be the smaller rears on mine. Fronts are the PBR 2 pot as came std on my BFII T. Rears solid and noticeably smaller (why have larger rear discs anyway? not much braking done there?). This is the best pic I have atm. Rears have dust shields on still, caliper at 2/10 o'clock. I own an ex police car for those who don't know, but I'm told it wasn't a chaser.

IMG_1818wheelcrop.jpg

Edited by -SteveR-

• Member For: 15y 1m 22d

Yeh I got the same setup as you Steve. Kinda find it strange that the guys at parts thought the BA and BF had the same sized front rotors. Guess that is a good reason to not want to take your car there for services and such :crybaby:

• Donating Members

I took my baby to ford for it's first scheduled service.

Said hello to a $560 45000km service (optioned the coolant system flush I think. declined $55 balance/align and $60 or something fuel system flush).

Never again.

• Member For: 15y 8m 8d
Had to run and check mine...looks by eye to be the smaller rears on mine. Fronts are the PBR 2 pot as came std on my BFII T. Rears solid and noticeably smaller (why have larger rear discs anyway? not much braking done there?).

In my post above I was talking about utes in particular with the change in rear caliper location (when the rotor size changed), I don't know that it's applicable to sedans or not.

• Donating Members

Ah ok. I had to google image search the 3.9 oclock on FGs myself to be sure I wasn't just seeing it from a bad angle (not much room in the garage) and mistaking mine.