Stutter Over 4000rpm. Full Throttle. Possible Causes?

LukeXR6Turbo

• Member For: 14y 9m 10d

Hi all

I own a 2004 XR6Turbo, 2004 BA sedan in phantom. I have to say how impressed I am with the knowledge you guys have on the 6T, and how to really get them moving! I think the upgrade bug has bitten me hard already and I only found use guys a few days ago.Haha :blink:

But firstly,

I recently serviced my XR6T, changing the engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter (REPCO aftermarket) and the cars first power altering mod, a K&N air filter.

Since then the car when being held on full throttle has a slight increase in power than beforehand building to 4000rpm, before a stutter in both power and engine note begins, continuing until either the auto changes gears or I back off the accelerator. I can get the the car to top revs without the stutter by gradually building revs. But where's the fun in that!?

I'm hoping that one of you guys can let me know what I think will be a silly oversight of mine. Although I won't be to upset if someone says 42pound injectors and a stage 2 CAPA tune should level out the extra air the engine's sucking! Not likely OK.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks guys, Luke

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 22d

Hey Luke :hiall:

Use the search function to find "Coil Pack Problems" that sounds like it may be the cause of your issue. Probably not a bad idea to chage you plugs while you are at it, there is a how to guide on the forum too.

:spoton:

• Member For: 15y 5m 27d

I second that. I experienced the same issue at 4,000 rpm but this was just after the custom tune.

Coils tend to go early on these cars - stock or tuned. Mine had 93,000 kms when this happened.

Replaced all coils and problem fixed......I thing FTG is doing a special for a set of 6 genuine Ford coils atm.

Hey Luke <_<

Use the search function to find "Coil Pack Problems" that sounds like it may be the cause of your issue. Probably not a bad idea to chage you plugs while you are at it, there is a how to guide on the forum too.

:bump:

Thanks guys,

Getting it looked at Friday, since we're leaning towards the coil problem. Had absolutely no drama's with this car so far, so not worried about spending a couple of $$$ on it. She's worth it!

Thanks again

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 22d

before trying the coils, try the plugs, a similar thing occurred with me when giving the boot full the engine would stutter hella bad at around 4500rpm and after changing the plugs it has eliminated the problem, but I guess while your at it change the coils for extra assurance.

good luck

Yeah, mine isn't consistantly at 4000rpm. Anything from 4 to 4and a half. And not sure if its relevant, but the car only burnt a couple of tanks of fuel in the last 10 months. Then all of a sudden she's being held full noise again. Will check the sparkies too. Like you said Benji. Probably won't hurt to check out both.

Thanks again.

• Banned
  • Member For: 14y 9m 18d

Hey Luke,

I'm only new to this forum but like yourself I had a similar problem. My BA however is custom flash tuned. Your k&n wont be flowing that much more air to throw out your Air/Fuel mixtures. If you're concerned put the stock air filter back in and try it. With my 4000-5000rpm stutter problem I found that the problem was in the wastegate solenoid which was causing the car to over boost. I lubed it up and the problem went away. The computer keeps this valve shut to build up boost and then opens it to allow the wastegate to stabilize your boost. If this valve is sticky or not responsive enough it will cause your boost to spike and mess up your A/F mixtures (lean backfire etc.). Also have your ecu scanned for any fault codes that may be logged with your auto. However like the other guys said it does sound like these things go through coil packs like new underwear. Good luck with it mate as it can be frustrating chasing these issues.

Elias.