Led Taillights

• Member For: 15y 5m 21d

Can you reset the car so it reads and adjusts for the lower resistance? In my Calais I was getting a bulb failure warning for an LED number plate bulb, pulled a fuse out (can't remember PCM or BCM?) for a minute, bingo fixed...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Banned
  • Member For: 14y 10m 13d
Changing to LED globes will stop the traction control, ABS and criuse control from working, unless you put a resistor inline to create enough draw to satisfy the ECU.

I'm looking at purchasing a set of LED lights but I think your information sounds a bit misleading. Your saying that if you have no brake light globes or if they both blow when you get hit up the rear your ABS and cruise control won't work ??? Why would the ECU monitor the brake light globes for this curcuit ???

There is a switch on your brake pedal that is used for ABS and cruise. It doesn't measure the resistance of your globes for this curcuit. The only times resistance is monitored is if your vehicle has a lamp failure module which will throw a brake light failure light on your dash.

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 16y 11m 28d

it will stuff the cruise control

I'm yet to be convinced about the abs , I have asked before but never got an answer , cruise is not a safety issue but abs is and I can't see how having leds or a blow bulb same thing to the ecu would stop this working it would be to dangerous

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 16y 11m 28d

c mon Zap you have stated this crap about abs a few times now and I have asked the same question where does the info came from that it affects abs and traction not trying to sh*t stir , would really like to know because I tell people it doesn't and if it does I would like some facts

• Banned
  • Member For: 14y 10m 13d

O.K to put my curiosity to the test I unplugged the rear tail lights and took the car for a drive. The cruise did not work. However the traction control operated normally as I thought. The ABS would also be operational since it uses the same inductive pick-up sensors on the wheels.

A couple of high wattage (5W) resistors would fool the cruise module should anyone wish to use LED lights. They can get pretty warm so you need to be careful where you place them. Still can't fathom why they measure the globe resistance for the cruise? Oh well it is what it is!

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 30d

I think it's all to do with detecting when the cruise needs to be disengaged.

You're correct about the ABS. It will still work.

• 4 years later...
  • Member For: 11y 11m 6d

Understand this is an old post but saves starting a new one...

Has anyone done this with the resistors in place? How many, what value etc?

Or can point me in right direction to find some more info?

Also are they going to void insurance? Definitely not ADR approved?

Edited by towsw001

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 22d

I run them on my fg. didnt have any issues with insurance.

when I installed them, they came with resistors built in to a wire/plug. from memory it said to install it without and if there was an error message on the dash, then install the resistor plug thingy.

I bought them from this company on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/ve-lites

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 15d

BUMP.

Ive looked around re this and id like to bump it as tech changes over time.

First I think you need to catergarise. First, cars pre and post LEDs. Well cars post will have LEDs so we needn't bother with them. For those of us with BABF that have non LED it involves us.

Bare with me.

So, the two categories. are, LED globs or full LED replacements?

I would think full LED units would gave everything you need but as GR8XR6 says, I'm not keen on the look either.

So, I, like many who change to HID or replace interior globs with LEDs (one of the best and cheapest mods I've done IMO), want to upgrade to LED globes only.

Indicator is a straight bulb change however, the light blinks on and off because of heat build up in a relay which opens and closes as the globe draws current. There are a number of articles on this and I believe 3 ways to approach. One appears to be the way to go, I cant remember which it was but you can get what you need in the globe or get a relay but you do need to have something so it will blink.

Now excuse the lack of info here but the intention was not to tell you what to do. What id like to know is, has anyone changed to LED globes and not gone aftermarket units?

We have:

Brake lights which may or may not affect ABS/Cruise;

Tail Lamp;

Reverse Lamps;

Indicators (Does need adaption for relay to heat up and blink);

Front Parking lamps (have done these. Straight swap. Colour matching can be an issue)

Rear Number plate lamps (Done. Straight swap)

So anyone done any of these?

I like LED running lights. As for ADR that doesn't worry me as much as the over exuberant copper who knocks you off for using driving with them on during the day, but some look way over the top.

As mentioned, the interior lights.....no question. Any new car comes into my house its online or over to JayCar for some LED. The colour and visibility inside the car is smick and I love it.

Sorry for the long post but if anyone has done those globes I haven't please comment.

Thanks

Rud.