XAH03

Sedan Fuel Pump Install How To

ok so guessing the fuel tank steps down or something where the pump is, kinda thought it might do that, slowly undid a 2 screws and fuel started to come out so closed it back up. couldnt even get the F@#%ing fuel lines off anyway, going for drive tonight to hopefully drain the tank abit, is there any trick to these suckers? push the tabs on the side while pushing forward then pull back aint working for me, lol

Haha yeah the tank has to have bugger all fuel in it, mine was just above empty.

With the fuel lines, push it forward then squeeze the tabs in and pull back it should let go. They are a bit of a pain in the a$$ but you'll get them with a bit of swearing.

are you talking about the fuel line tabs that need to be disconnected before the cradle comes out of the tank or the tabs on the side of the cradle for it to seperate??

yeah they are a pain. you have to push them forward, squeeze the tabs then pull back and they should release. did you get the fuel out of the lines before you tried to undo them?

Does that interior area with the soldered wires become flooded with fuel??

I'm thinking of soldering too, but I don't think the heatshrink would be rated for fuel

There is heat shrink out there that has a particular glue on the inside. When it shrinks on your cables it becomes airtight. Ask an electrical supplier like haymans. I have only seen it used on larger cables so getting something smaller might be difficult.

In any case it is a much better option then crimping.

Ok finally found away to get the suckers off haha I used 4 flatblade screwdrivers, small ones. I used them on the inside of the connector and gentally lifted all 4 of the locking tabs and it slid off very easily :) seems a lot easier this way. I recommend people who are having trouble to

Give this a go. You should be able to see all the tabs that clip over that need to be lifted

Strongly advise against this, as you can damage the tabs. Admittedly I've had a couple of issues with the submersible line being too long, and pushin the cap up etc.. and have had to take the pump out a couple of times. I was using drivers, and being carefull, but the claw-lip on these tabs that hold on to the rib of the male fitting can be damaged easily, and the supply line can blow off; which is what happened to me last week. I had to replace the line with a new supply line:

post-37288-0-11771000-1303133280_thumb.j

Just slide the fitting forward, then slide the tabs back, and the fitting will come off with ease.

Mine is leaking, and people are saying there's a seal, but no pics. I fit the module into the tank, and put the black metal ring on top, 6 bolts. I don't have any rubber seal?

I just installed my Walbro pump today...

I bought the whole drop in assembly which made it a little easier. I didnt find it hard at all, I worked out the fuel line clips also. Although not entirely the correct way, I put a small flat blade screw driver in te slips and gently lifted the tabs and it slid off, I was careful not to break anything.

With the drop in assembly the only thing you need to connect from the inside of the tank is the earthing wire and then yo put the new pump in and screw it down.

Now the pump is in, I dont find it noisey like people are saying. I do hear it prime for sure but when the car is running there is only a slight whine but you really have to be listening for it otherwise its just background noise.

Overall I found it a pretty easy job, although I had the complete assembly.

Adam

might be a silly question, but im thinking of having a crack at this myself but I live about 1 1/4 hours from my tuner. is it safe to drive it the 70kms after the install without having a retune?

yes I have a fuel pressure gauge in the car , when I went from stock pump to a gss-340 in tank , the pressure were pretty much the same , if anything the car wll run rich, if you worried , just cruise it there off boost

yes I have a fuel pressure gauge in the car , when I went from stock pump to a gss-340 in tank , the pressure were pretty much the same , if anything the car wll run rich, if you worried , just cruise it there off boost

yeah I would be pretty grandpa with it til I got there. thanks mate :beerchug:

like I said , if anything , you will be running rich. so no real problem. I drove 3 hrs to my tuner (some spirited driving) and had problems at all.

the regulator controls rail pressure well with the gss. its just more flow that it provides , not more pressure(remeber the reg sets the pressure)

I just did mine on my 07 bf, few points I'll add

- being in a country town, I see a few dirty/dirt roads. Around my pump unit was filthy, give it a good clean BEFORE removing the pumping or you'll have all sorts if dust and dirt going in your tank

- my car didn't have screws securing the black ring to hold the pump in, instead had locking tabs and had to be rotated around, I used a flat screwdriver and mallet.

Apart from that, it's a piece of piss to do!!

hi quick question ive got a fuel pump cradel in bits on my workbench and need some advice. my tuner supplied me with a gss341 and said there basicly the same and gave me a universal fitting kit. ive taken the old filter out and it is about twice the size as the new one would this make a huge difference?? surley there all rated to 500hp?

I was going to do my fuel pump today,

the car is a bf2 xr6t and the metal ring isn't held down by the 4 screws as it says in the first post.

Its got some sort of twist lock system.

I could not get it to budge today. can anyone tell me how to get it off?

Quick update. Took probably 30 mins to install, 20 of which was spent trying to get the fuel line off. In the end it was simple. First I sprayed a little WD40, then just push the plastic connector back and then forward, dont try and push clips in you should be able to see the connector move a little forward. Then I used some needle nose pliers and applied some pressure to the larger side clips and pulled back, presto came straight off.

The new cradle had a different style clip for the fuel gauge sender, didn't matter, just jammed it in and works perfectly. Just to give you an idea of size difference I have added this photo link. The screwdriver is the biggest flat blade I own.

http://s1191.beta.photobucket.com/user/Impellor/media/Walbro%20255lph%20Big%20Pod%20Cradle/FuelPump866.jpg.html#/user/Impellor/media/Walbro%20255lph%20Big%20Pod%20Cradle/FuelPump866.jpg.html?&_suid=13552828247340053492653733534845

Cheers