XAH03

Sedan Fuel Pump Install How To

now you have to join the ford wiring to the supplied Walbro wiring loom. I have seen this done with crimps/connectors but I soldered and heat shrinked mine

06062009196.jpg

Here is a much much better solution for this aspect:

1) snip the factory wires off the plug that goes into the top of the cradle

2) strip enough wire back on the Walbro loom to join two female blade connectors*

3) remove the old female blade connectors from the factory plug with a watch makers screw driver (the old "precision screw driver")

4) insert the new female blade connectors joined to the Walbro loom into factroy plug

5) plug back in to the cradle

No solder, no joining.

* TIP: remove the old female blade connectors from the factory plug and take them down to Repco. They are not quite a standard female connector (from memory) but Narva make them. Just have a look at the Narva book and you'll find them. Oh, and the MUST have the locking lug on them so that they stay inside the plug.

Something like this:

connect.jpg

Cheers

Dan

great write up but how much fuel came out when you cracked the fuel lines ive been thinking im gonna pull the fuel fuse while the car is at idle and let it run out of fuel to avoid some of the mess

anyone else done this ?

cheers trev

when I did mine I had the car turned off, pulled the fuse then started the car, it ran for a few second then turned off. that got rid of most of the fuel in the lines

cheers phooned

my fuel pump is in isnt really that bad a job to do yourself besides un doing thoses f*cking fuel lines of which I broke two of the little clips off on the return line still holds the hose on but that *beep* never coming off again without the little clips on the side to push forward for removel :idhitit:

checked for leaks pulled on all of them and everything is fine with the car running befor putting the back seat back in

cheers trev

yep the connections are a pain in the a$$, they are a push-pull type of thing.

Here is a much much better solution for this aspect:

1) snip the factory wires off the plug that goes into the top of the cradle

2) strip enough wire back on the Walbro loom to join two female blade connectors*

3) remove the old female blade connectors from the factory plug with a watch makers screw driver (the old "precision screw driver")

4) insert the new female blade connectors joined to the Walbro loom into factroy plug

5) plug back in to the cradle

No solder, no joining.

* TIP: remove the old female blade connectors from the factory plug and take them down to Repco. They are not quite a standard female connector (from memory) but Narva make them. Just have a look at the Narva book and you'll find them. Oh, and the MUST have the locking lug on them so that they stay inside the plug.

Something like this:

connect.jpg

Cheers

Dan

Did the same thing but instead of buying new terminals I was able to undo the crimp, insert the wiring in, crimp and solder. Worked a treat.

on the side of the cradle you will see two tabs, push them in and pull the top of the cradle it should seperate slightly. Then when you are looking at the cradle there is two ribbed type lines. one goes from the top of the cradle to the fuel pump and the other comes from the return line at the top of the cradle. where the return line connects to at the other end you need to push that aside as it catches and wont let you pull it any further. after you push that aside the cradle should seperate.

on the side of the cradle you will see two tabs, push them in and pull the top of the cradle it should seperate slightly. Then when you are looking at the cradle there is two ribbed type lines. one goes from the top of the cradle to the fuel pump and the other comes from the return line at the top of the cradle. where the return line connects to at the other end you need to push that aside as it catches and wont let you pull it any further. after you push that aside the cradle should seperate.

seems like a stupid question, but I started to do my fuel pump on the weekend tank was too full so decided to leave it until next weekend and have the tank drained some more. Now my cabin has this slight petrol smell how long did that take to go away after you guys did yours? froze my ass off driving to work this morning with all the windows down.

hmmm, I didnt have a fuel smell in mine when I did it. might be a good idea to check all of your supply and return lines (if you got to taking them off) from the top of the cradle and check that the black cover under the back seat is all on properly

yea the smell is gone now, just left the sunroon open and some windows down while at work did the trick. Yea there was no leaks I did double check that.

Finally got my pump in on the weekend, was pretty simple. Did people find it louder than the standard one on prime? Don't really hear any difference when driving just on the prime I here it fire up. But was a great guide this helped me out in quite a few spots!

Thanks

no worries :blush:

Yeah mine is noisy on prime and could only just hear it while the car was running.

After I got my injectors and tune done it got a little bit louder but nothing stupid.

I didn't use the heat shrink idea, didn't like the thought of it melting off and shorting around fuel. So I pulled apart the ford plug and used the connectors in it and jointed them to the walbro wireing, was very simple and I think a bit on the safer side. But on the other side no one has posted any bad things about the heat shrink so must be going ok.

Yeah I just did mine again by changing connectors good for piece of mind !! I did notice the heatshrink becoming very soft so I am glad to have changed it. !!

Well after 2 months fully submerged in the fuel it's not dissapearing anywhere near as fast as I'd have thought.

So you people with the heat shrink can _probably_ rest easy :)

:shocked:

OK to help out anyone else here trying this:

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LEAST AMOUNT OF FUEL IN THE TANK (BY RUNNING IT DOWN)

I just spent the best part of $70 on a siphon and a couple of jerry cans... but couldn't get the siphon down there (DOH!), then read on this forum that we have anti-siphon tank fillers... :buttonit::buttrock:

Hopefully this will help someone!!!

could someone recomend a person to do the install for me.

I could do it im capable but im a bit heavy handed.

also how lokng does the submersable fuel line have to be?

Yeah I just did mine again by changing connectors good for piece of mind !! I did notice the heatshrink becoming very soft so I am glad to have changed it. !!

hae you got the part number by any chance?

bouht a back up assembly today.all I can say is this is a bastard of a job.already cracked the outside base case..very upset boy :dontknow:

anyone know the part number of those connectors or have a pic of them? am going to be doing this tomorrow, also do you really needa have a small amount of fuel in the tank? what would happen if you had say 3/4 lol?