Sedan Fuel Pump Install How To

• Member For: 16y 5m

Well I decided it was about time to have a go at installing my Walbro GSS340 intank fuel pump.

Sorry If some of these pictures are a bit crappy they were taken from my phone

before starting this make sure there is the lowest amount of fuel in the tank.

Materials you will need:

Gates 5/16 Submersable fuel hose. I paid $40 from Autobarn.

post-13366-1244339319_thumb.jpg

2x9mm EFI Hose clamps (make sure you get the EFI clamps because regular clamps can grab in and break the hose) I got these from Repco for $2 each.

post-13366-1244336121_thumb.jpg

To start with I found the fuel fuse in the engine bay fuse box, it is a 20amp fuse

post-13366-1244336465_thumb.jpg

To locate the pump you need to pull out the bottom section of the back seat. to do this you need to grab the seat at the front and pull up, you will feel where the seat is held down. pull up at these points and the seat should pull away from its position.

post-13366-1244337037_thumb.jpg

After you get the seat out you will see where the pump is located

post-13366-1244337615_thumb.jpg

remove the black cover to reveal the fuel line connections and the top of the pump cradle.

post-13366-1244340083_thumb.jpg

More to follow......

• Like 1

• Member For: 16y 5m

unplug the wiring connection that goes to the top of the cradle and disconnect the fuel lines. these are a bit of a pain in the a$$, you have to push the connection towards the cradle while squeezing the tabs on the sides then pull back in the other direction. it took me a few goes of swearing but I finally got them off.

010.jpg

[012.jpg

after removing the fuel lines, undo the 6 phillips head screws and remove the black metal ring holding down the cadle.

Grab the top of the cradle and gentle pull up. There is a wire that is connected from the fuel tank, disconnect that and you should be able to remove the cradle from the car. be carefull, the cradle will have some fuel still in it.

now that you have it all out drain the fuel that is left in the cradle out so it's easier to work with.

013.jpg

disconnect the wire that connects the top of the cradle to the fuel pump at both ends. this is the wire you will have to cut and join to the new Walbro loom

014.jpg

you will see two tabs on each side of the cradle. push these in so it seperates. you will see two fuel lines in the cradle, one from the pump and another for the return line, you need to push where the return line connects to to the side so you can seperate the cradle.

I didnt get any pictures of this so I hope I explained it well enough.

When you seperate the cradle the standard fuel pump and filter should still be connected to the top half of the cradle.

To remove the corrigated fuel line I had to cut if off because it was quite hard to pull it off.

Undo 2 clips that hold the filter and pump at the bottom and the pump should come out free.

Now you have to install the new Walbro pump.

Attached the supplied Walbro filter the the bottom of the pump.

Then place the new pump and filter in the bottom half of the cradle

06062009187.jpg

reassemble the cradle

06062009188.jpg

now you have to join the ford wiring to the supplied Walbro wiring loom. I have seen this done with crimps/connectors but I soldered and heat shrinked mine

06062009196.jpg

Now you have to cut the fuel line, it has to be about 70-80mm long so the cradle sits on the bottom of the tank. you may want to test fit it into the car to make sure it fits all good.

connect to the top of the cradle and fuel pump and secure with the EFI hose clamps.

also reconnect the wiring.

should hopefully look like this when you are done.

06062009197.jpg

now re-installed cradle back into the tank, connect fuel lines, electrical plugs, fuse and test that the pump primes and then the car starts.

If all is good then put the back seat back in and you are done!

:buttrock:

Edited by XAH03

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

nice write up dude looks like you had fun now hurry up & get the snot machine finished & retuned!!!

• Member For: 15y 7m 6d

just a quick question, not worth starting a new thread about, but,

When do you normally need to upgrade fuel pump, is it a certain amount of rwkw? or when you put bigger injectors in?

• Mad Scientist
  • Member For: 19y 4m
Is that rubber line that you used a proper submersible fuel line or just a regular fuel line hose?

if you squint you can kinda see the "submersible fuel line" on the packet in the photo...