Brembo - Fpv Disc's And Pads.

smicky

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 7d

Hey all,

Get a call today telling me that the phoon's disc's and pads are all but gone...

I figured well I guess it happens...

Then they tell me they want almost $2,000 to replace the discs and pads... I was to say the least a little shocked.

But I guess I do drive a FPV Rspec after all...

So few quick questions.

1. does $2k sound right for pads and disc's on an RSpec?

2. for the money may be worth looking at something better?

3. When called a tyre place quickly they advise me that even using a different pad may void the cars warranty - is this true?

What have others paid?

Cheers guys...

:stupid:

• Member For: 20y 9m 18d

1 - It seems about right, Ford or FPV are by no means cheap on parts or servicing..

2 - For the money I'd have to say yes, there is certainly other options which could very well be noticeably better and possibly cheaper also. (Many of us use DBA rotors and some good suitable pads, there is a lot of choice out there though depending on performance/budget etc)

3 - I have not heard of non-Ford brake pads voiding your any of your new car warranty, however I can't say I am 100% on this as I haven't had to (luckily) attempt a claim warranty with my brakes. In the worst case scenario I could imagine, it would only void the calipers/rotors (which would be non ford and outperform theirs anyway) so I'd think its quite inconsequential.

I recall paying ~1000 fitted for top of the line DBA5000 drilled & slotted rotors with alloy hat for the fronts on my F6; many people don't want drilled and are happy with slotted, so consider DBA4000 even..

Pads are a personal choice, I forget what they set me back, but it was very very cheap compared to Ford parts, again.

On a side note, get your brakes checked at a decent brake place, Ford were telling me my fronts were shot over 3 service periods! I had taken them to independent places, measured them myself and they were still fine, within spec and stopping great.

Funny how when I told Ford I wont be replacing them with their Ford gear, they didn't mention it again either!!

I am not stupid or a cheap-arse, but I didn't want to throw away near enough to 20,000km worth of $$$$$ brakes lol........

• Member For: 20y 9m 18d

I should add, now that I see you're located in Vic, if you are ever nearby Moorabbin go and drop by High-Tek Brakes and speak to Cam.

He has been looking after me and my friends/family and many forum members for ages now, he is the only person I let touch my servicing/brakes/susp and I know I will always get no BS and great service and prices.

High-Tek Brakes (Moorabbin, Vic)

For the record, I am not affiliated with this workshop in anyway and receive no kick backs; just feel honest people with REAL knowledge and good service/prices deserve a mention in these cases. (Don't be scared by their Expensive Daewoo ute on the website, they love Fords and pay respect where it's due hehe)

Cheers - Daniel.

Edited by Daniel

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 7d

Thanks Dan, exactly my thoughts, I told them to bolt the bastard back up and I would take the car to my Tyre and Break guys to check out and quote on also...

So that's a tomorrow item - on the to do list...

Was thinking that a set of DBA slotted & drilled might be nice with the Brembos which are on the car... maybe some Frendo pads (or whatever they are called) also... Thought for $2k there must be some nice options for the RSpec, even if it is only 18 months old...

Any other input on this one guys would be greatly appreciated...

:tonguepoke:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 21d

DBA 5000 Rotors and Ferodo DS2500 Pads up front.....DBA 4000 rear, I hate drilled rotors so just go slotted. They didnt have Ferodo DS2500 pads for the Corvette rear caliper at the time so just used a Racebrakes compound

Do not use the Ford OEM crap.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 10d

I agree witht he comments above.

Ford are a ripoff for Brembo brakes. You are far better to get the DBA replacements as the stock pads and rotors are way to soft.

I munched through a set of pads and rotors in 24,000km, which is way to soon for the cost of these items. I got my gear from Racebrakes for 1/2 the cost of Ford.

My only advice is to steer clear of the drilled rotors and just get the slotted.

• Member For: 16y 6m 28d

Yep agreed with above, I got a pair of slotted DBA5000 rotors from Cam at Hightek for 950 posted as an ebay special, top bloke to deal with.

He also recommended Hawk? pads from memory, but I haven't bought any pads yet, leaning towards the DS2500s when the time comes.

Out of interest how many km's are people getting out of front rotors and pads (4 pots)?

I've done 62,000km, mostly freeway, and the rotors are starting to get a decent lip.

Ford dealer mentioned at last service that they'd probably need replacing at the 75,000km mark...

Anyone know the minimum width for the rotors off the top of their head?

• 4 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 8m 11d

Yeah, just got the same call, pads have about 2000km ish left on them and the rotors are apparently worn and under minimum spec. I have just clicked over 30,000k's, so not real flash k's.

Rang Hightek for a price and am looking at $1280 drive in / drive out. DBA5000 rotors and Hawk ceramic pads. At nearly half price, I know which way I'll be going.

Edited by tab
Quote removed

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 3m 15d

I got Sydney Race brakes to fit DBA 5000, slotted and cross drilled rotors and their own formula pads and braided line, silicon fluid for ~$1650. The good thing is the DBA's allow for a larger pad than the factory one. Must say the pads are very good, with little dust, no squeal, progressive feel and pull up hard when needed.