Need Advice On Zf 6 Speed

BLUUOA

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 11m 12d

Hey guys....

I've still got an issue with my car going into gearbox limp mode every time you give it a hit....

The abs light, traction light and brake light flash and the Speedo stops working when the gearbox goes into limp mode the gear selection display flashes and the speedo holds on a certain speed then stops working...

I've been told the gearbox might be having issues

I've done everything under the sun to try and fix this problem without any luck...

I've even changed all 4 wheel sensors put standard wheels back on changed the gearbox and engine wiring loom to try and narrow it down....but again no luck

AND WORST THING IS THERE ARE NO TROUBLE CODES TO NARROW DOWN THE PROBLEM

I've put the car back to standard and with the factory tune

Had the car at two auto electricians, back to two ford dealerships and even took it back where my car has been tuned without any luck

After allot of time and money I'm still back at square one

I’m calling anyone that can help

I’ve got a spare ZF 6 Speed that I bought out of a wreak BF xr6 turbo but have been told it will not work with my car due to transmission ecu is only coded to suit that particular engine VIN and chassis

Is this true?

How can I make this gearbox work with my car

Please guys I really need help with this issue as it’s really stressing me out because I don’t seem to get an answer to the problem it’s only costing me $$$

Honestly if anyone can guide me in the right direction or know anyone that has had a similar issue with their car.... Or anyone that would like to take on this issue please PM me thanks

Could it be the computer or ABS module

Thanks

Edited by BLUUOA

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 5m 11d

Sounds to me like an ABS problem as the Transmission has little to do with the Speedo as it’s the ABS that gives it the speed.

The Transmission will be OK to swap out but I doubt it will fix the problem.

Also the transmission is relying on the information from the ABS to determine wheel speed front and rear to ascertain when to change gear relevant to wheel speed and differential between front and rear such as driving in slippery conditions.

If the ABS is corrupt then the transmission doesn't have a clue what to do and loss of ABS or abs sensors will bring on Trans limp mode

• Member For: 17y 15d

As utterly ridiculous as it sounds I had a very similar problem last week and it turned out to be a O2 sensor.

My symptoms were abs light, handbrake light traction light, flickering headlight and limp home mode on the ZF.

I have to admit I have no idea why a o2 sensor can cause all those issues, but I took to CV when it happened and they fixed it prety quick for me (Longest part was the wait for the sensor to arrive)

Pretty easy thing to change over if your really having trouble - or take a run down there and ask.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 11m 12d

Thanks guys...

It actually just happened again this morning in manual mode I gave it a hit in 2nd gear and the gear selector started flashing and lost the gas peddle and couldn't accerelate anymore

And noticed the car was missing like crazy and was idling funny

I turned it off and turned it back on and everything went back to normal....

It only happens when the car is under load..

Would a faulty valve body cause the car to go in limp mode ?

Shouldn't a scanner pick up the problem...

This car is %^%*& stressing me out

Edited by BLUUOA

• Enforcer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 6m 10d

I had all the same symptoms with my Bf xrt and I narrowed it down to this.

Before I load my tune I make sure that my mobile phone is switched off because I think the bluetooth conection was interfering with the tune.

Once I load the tune I start the car, switch it off then re-load the tune a second time. this has sorted my problem as I noticed that some times when I loaded the tune the car would run better than other times, also I have noticed that it is a good idea to freashly load the tune every now and again as the car seems to have a mind of its own sometimes.

Some of my side effects have been - Speedo not working or locking on speed, auto not changing , selecting nutral or locking in one gear or the other, trans hi-stalling at takeoff, trans not changing gears, all dash cluster lights coming on and going into limp mode.

Just try loading your tune twice in a row as it fixed my problems,

Cheers,

mark. :Welcome2FordXR6t:

• You are a dead set goose
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 20d

I was under the impression that a PCM tune cannot change itself at any time by itself?

• Enforcer
  • Donating Members

Well I'm a bit out of my depth here and I can only talk about what I have noticed with my car.

I find that if I drive my car nice and easy and then want to drive hard, it takes a little while for the car to adjust, but if I drive hard and then want to take it easy then for a while the car is still prepared for hard driving, Re: The way the trans shifts, Idle speed, holds in gear longer before it changes, how quick the car reaches maximum revs.

I would sugest that the car adapts to the style of driving.

So; what I am saying is that if you reload the tune (fresh) then it re-sets the mode to the original tune design.

Does that sound like dribble or does it make sense? :beerchug:

• GONE FULL WIZARD
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 3m 13d

Have you thought about the TPS maybe, your probs sound like what mine had when the TPS went bung and it was intermittent, it would shut the car down, I'd turn it off then back on and it would be fine again for a bit. Replaced the TPS and it is fine now.

• Enforcer
  • Donating Members
Hey guys....

How can I make this gearbox work with my car

Please guys I really need help with this issue as it’s really stressing me out because I don’t seem to get an

Thanks

Looked into it, this may help.

Smartlock bypass Module from shiftkits. com.au

• 9 years later...
  • Member For: 4y 11m 22d

Hi guys, my bf xr6 with a zf transmission has the transmission light flashing and will not go into gear. Will not go into drive and will not select a gear in tiptronic either. Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated