How To Replace The Power Steering Line?

bluesmuso

• Member For: 13y 3m 6d

I know this is old post, But I also have the same leak, and it's been there for a while.

I fixed it, and it cost $0 and took 10 minutes.

I drained the power steering reservoir by taking off both pressure pipe and return pipe.

Let the pressure pipe down a bit to drain fliud near the fitting. Then sprayed it with carbi cleaner (really well) to get rid of any oil in or around the fitting.

Put on a new top O ring and working some RTV silicone around the base of the nut, and really worked it up into where the other O ring is inside the fitting.

Put some RTV around the outside thread of the nut (carefull not to get any in the pipe.)

Screwed it back on.

Waited a few hours, filled it back up.

Thrashed the bejesus out of it for a while.

Hey presto no more leaks.

I know it sounds dodgy. but the RTV silicone completely fills the cavity where the O ring inside fails and just seals it up nicely.

Before the pipe could move in and out of the fitting, now it feels solid, but still has a little bit of give against vibration and engine movement etc.

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 10y 2m 9d

I recently purchased an after market hose from Pinks power steering and had the same issue. After taking the car in the guy said to just bend the metal piping so that it's not interfering with the turbo hose. I haven't done it yet, I'm a little worried about damaging something in the process. I'm surprised that the aftermarket hoses aren't made to clear the turbo intake like the original. Surely it's not hard to achieve?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
  • skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 28d

obviously I need to come up with an actual solution, which brings me to this thread.

for the lols:

LrNIjJS.jpg

mechanic hasn't given me a price, too busy, don't wana heckle em but he did indicate he hasn't done many of these so maybe isn't keen.

I wonder how the guy @FPVF6355 went with his dodgy sealant job.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

The :mole:'ing in this thread is impressive...

It's actually not that hard to replace the power steering line... Do it when the turbo's out for maximum clearance. Buy one off ebay and go your hardest :spoton:

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 1d

Changing the hose isn't hard, the issue that @skidxr6thas is the intake line fouls with the HP line. This pushes the fitting and causes the leak at the base of the reservoir.

Its how does one sort that out, because replacing the hose won't fix that 

• Like 1

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 28d

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING OATH DUDE OH MY GOD..

it only started leaking when I took that bloody intake off to check the turbo's play and some other sh*t.

its the length of the steel pipe coming from the under battery intake (that goes to filter), it goes too far into the engine bay, meaning that silicone joiner is like 2-3 inches too long. I was thinking of modifying that or shortening the silicone.

or battery relocation mmmmmmmmmmmmm

oh man, turboknapp you know my pain.

I do also have to take my turbo off at some point so maybe I could do it at the same time, I learned that taking an exhaust housing off is an effing hard job, I got all the bolts loose - that was the easy bit.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

There's an aftermarket replacement hose that bends or connects in a different way so that is less likely to foul on an air intake pipe.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

http://stores.ebay.com.au/npsteering

Send them a message with your make/model and they'll quote up a "replacement" part setup specifically... I think another seller sells them too, but I can't remember who it was.

• Like 1