How To Replace The Power Steering Line?

bluesmuso

• TEAM BA
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 21d

we did mine today and whilst it is an absolute *beep* of a job to do $14 as apposed to $90 or let alone $200 means its worth it, and still probably easyer then replacing the whole line would be sans hoist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 4m 20d

A mate bought a fitting from Enzed or somewhere, and what he did was unscrew the factory fitting/hose from the pump, screw in this fitting he purchased, and then screwed it all back together (ie. the fitting has a female thread at one end, and the male fitting at the other end).

He said it stopped his leak, and it sounds like a real simple solution.

• Me
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1d

I have done 3 of these now using the fork tool designed for undoing trim studs. U have to get the hose and fitting in a vice, get the fork square and hit it with a mallet. It damages the inside of the small fitting but that's the cheap part u replace anywho. The old hose then snaps straight into the new fitting.

• 1 month later...
  • THE PSYCHO XRT
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 3m 21d

Just saw this thread today after replacing my Power Steering lines yesterady. lol

The genuine lines inc the return line cost me $240 and took me under 2 hrs to replace..

She's all sweet and no more fluid leaks on the Alternator which I think should happily live longer. :)

Edited by Varaitch

• 2 months later...
  • ANGEL EYES
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 7d

A mate bought a fitting from Enzed or somewhere, and what he did was unscrew the factory fitting/hose from the pump, screw in this fitting he purchased, and then screwed it all back together (ie. the fitting has a female thread at one end, and the male fitting at the other end).

He said it stopped his leak, and it sounds like a real simple solution.

Interested in this easier solution. Any more info?

:beerchug:

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 16y 9m 6d

I used a $88 repco hose. Nizpro fitted it for me at my last service, and its been sweet for 3 months, touch wood. no signs of weeping.

Just an alternative if you dont want to have a go at cutting the fitting off, as If you nic the pipe, you need to replace it.

• 1 month later...
  • <put funny sh*t here>

Im going to attempt the method where you use a dremel and cut off the end, and replace it with the new piece from Ford.

Has anyone done this mod, and then STILL have it leak afterwards? I'd hate to do it all, only to have it leak again afterwards.

Cheers.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 6d

I've done three Mikey, the oring that leaks is replaced as part of the fitting you cut off.

Be very very careful to avoid knicking the p/steer pipe when you cut the nut of.

I prefer to cut 2/3rds of the way through then give it a gentle nudge with a small chisel to split the nut rather than cutting all the way.

Be mindful of the metal swarf that you will generate when you cut the fitting. Plug the pipe before you start and clean up the area with solvent before refitting. I would also give the seal surface a once over with a bit of wet and dry to remove any metal that could knick the new o-ring.

Fit the fitting to the pump, lube up the pipe with a little bit of clean p/steer fluid, Slide the pipe in and roberts your mother brother. :mexicanwave:

• 3 weeks later...
  • <put funny sh*t here>

Sounds good. I've got the fitting just waiting for the right day to do it on.

My only concern is, mine doesn't seem to leak from the fitting or that line, however it seems to get onto the back of the pulley and that pulley spray it around in a circular spray under the engine bay.

Does that mean its probably not the main fitting that I'm intending on replacing? And its more the main seal around the bearing or something?